Unanswered: database splitter

After I created several tables in a front end of a splitted database, I selected the database splitter error messages appeared.

However, it did created a back-end database but contains only the newly created tables. It does not include the linked tables in the database.

It seems to me now there are two back-end databases. One for the new tables and one for the previous linked table.

How can I combine the linked tables and unlinked tables(new tables) into ONE back-end database?

Please Help!

ajwz

I don't use the splitter, so this approach will work regardless.

Open a new database call it data or something. Choose import from the file menu and import all your tables into the new database.

Open your front end and go to the tables tab. Delete every table, Access may pop up warnings just choose yes.

When all the tables are deleted choose import from the file menu and this time choose link tables.

Alternatively you can use LinkManager from the tools menu to relink to your new database, however, I have found the above method more reliable in some circumstances.

Thanks for your Help! I got it working.

What I did was imported the new tables from the Front End into the existing Data file so all the tables are in one file and are unlinked. Next I deleted all the tables from the Front End(per your suggestion). Then I selected Database Splitter from the Tools menu. The database was split and linked.

Thanks again.

ajwz

Hi,

Do you find errors when using linked tables when opening a lot of forms or reports ? I do, I don't know how to solve this. I am using Access 2K.

Thanks

Milan,

I used to have a lot of errors with queries on linked tables. Then after some time, I learnt 'something' and these errors stopped. I do not know what I learnt, as one day they just seemed to cease.

I now tend to built my databases in half to start with, and have never had any significant probelms, except on client / server machines in Thin Client Server environments where I am starting to question the hardware arrangements as being causative.

Thanks

What kind of error message did you get ? The one I have is "Cannot open more databases". It seems the problem comes when opening too many objects at the same time. However, this never happens when I DON'T use linked tables. Any idea why ?

I was getting totally wrong results, and unanticiapated outcomes. These were not incorrect queries, as I would merge a copy of the database and they would work as advertised.

I have never had the messsage "Cannot open more databases". Perhaps I have never opend enough forms, how many forms do you have open when this occurs?

Around 4 forms, however, each form has around 50-100 textbox and each form is based upon a query that joins 30 tables.

I don't use that many tables concurrently under normal circumstances. The forms fields appear too high, as per Access Performance analyser.

My solution to multiple text boxes tends to be to construct sub - forms. I have noticed the access performance analyser likes this method. So what I have started to do is to construct sub - forms first, I then use the subforms repeatedly and if necessary group as many as are required on any form. If I get more than about four, I make this a master sub form and build in this manner. A bit like putting bricks together for a house.

Although I suspect in your circumstances you may be running into a program limit, documented or not. Perhaps you could make some of your source queries from your thirty tables make table queries and then query those new tables. When done delete the make table table and so on.

Hi dynamictiger.

I like your approach. I also tend to use subforms, because they make great re-usable components.

Igor