What I did was imported the new tables from the Front End into the existing Data file so all the tables are in one file and are unlinked. Next I deleted all the tables from the Front End(per your suggestion). Then I selected Database Splitter from the Tools menu. The database was split and linked.
I used to have a lot of errors with queries on linked tables. Then after some time, I learnt 'something' and these errors stopped. I do not know what I learnt, as one day they just seemed to cease.
I now tend to built my databases in half to start with, and have never had any significant probelms, except on client / server machines in Thin Client Server environments where I am starting to question the hardware arrangements as being causative.
What kind of error message did you get ? The one I have is "Cannot open more databases". It seems the problem comes when opening too many objects at the same time. However, this never happens when I DON'T use linked tables. Any idea why ?
I don't use that many tables concurrently under normal circumstances. The forms fields appear too high, as per Access Performance analyser.
My solution to multiple text boxes tends to be to construct sub - forms. I have noticed the access performance analyser likes this method. So what I have started to do is to construct sub - forms first, I then use the subforms repeatedly and if necessary group as many as are required on any form. If I get more than about four, I make this a master sub form and build in this manner. A bit like putting bricks together for a house.
Although I suspect in your circumstances you may be running into a program limit, documented or not. Perhaps you could make some of your source queries from your thirty tables make table queries and then query those new tables. When done delete the make table table and so on.