Post Unanswered: Running a command

What is the best way to have Access grab information from a command in the command prompt and populate that answer in to the database. For example, you run 'nslookup' (the data used is contained in the database and needs to be passed on to run the commad) and then use the data that was returned to populate a field in the database?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by willd; 05-14-02 at 14:26.

hey willd,

I think I can help you. I created a Frame Relay database and wanted to be able to ping addresses from the database with the click of a button so that the user would not have to use the command prompt everytime. It was a real pain in the ass and took forever to come up with a good solution, because not only did I want to be able to ping but I also wanted to be able to run other commands and save them for future use. (ex: Dir, Net Use, Etc...)

Well this is the best procedure that I could come up with:

1) creates a temporary text file
    2) the command runs and saves the data in that file
    3) the database imports the data into a table
    4) finally deletes the temp file and then does whatever other data manipulation that I need.

The code is very complex and I had to get some of it from other Access Super Heroes. They had no problem with sharing. I will be more than glad to share it with you if you would like to tackle my procedure. Its different but it works. Let me know and I'll post it for you.

Question I think I need someting simular

I think I need a similar code. I really hope you can help.
    What I have is the following.
    alias name
    host name
    Ip adres

What I need is:
    When I enter a alias name in my access form, I want to get the Host and Ip adres to be entered in two other fields.

Is this possible?
    thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    You can do this directly through the windows API.

Check out the relevant winsock api docs here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de..._1_1_api_2.asp

Of particular interest to you would be gethostbyname and gethostbyaddr.
    Last edited by Teddy; 10-28-05 at 09:52.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by kpalmer
    hey willd,

I think I can help you. I created a Frame Relay database and wanted to be able to ping addresses from the database with the click of a button so that the user would not have to use the command prompt everytime. It was a real pain in the ass and took forever to come up with a good solution, because not only did I want to be able to ping but I also wanted to be able to run other commands and save them for future use. (ex: Dir, Net Use, Etc...)

Well this is the best procedure that I could come up with:

1) creates a temporary text file
    2) the command runs and saves the data in that file
    3) the database imports the data into a table
    4) finally deletes the temp file and then does whatever other data manipulation that I need.

The code is very complex and I had to get some of it from other Access Super Heroes. They had no problem with sharing. I will be more than glad to share it with you if you would like to tackle my procedure. Its different but it works. Let me know and I'll post it for you.
    I know this is a very old post but do you still know how to do this