Unanswered: JDBC resultset "ORDER BY using INDEX hint"

Hi!I'm using Oracle JDBC thin driver (classes12.zip)and Oracle 9i Releasse(9.0.1) to create a ResultSet object. when I append an order by clause to the basic select query, then when the updateRow() method
    attempts to run, I receive the error message. As It is mentioned in Oracle documnentation, It is one of "JDBC Resultset limitation".
    Now i try to force oracle to use an index for the query that implements the ordering i desire.
    The query "SELECT /*+INDEX_DESC(r indexdatum)*/ artikelnummer,artikelsequence,datum from auftragdaten_level_sub22 r where datum > '10-JAN-1999'"
    This work fine through "SQL Plus" and gives me ordered results.
    But when i try following
    ps = connection.prepareStatement("SELECT /*+INDEX_DESC(r indexdatum)*/ artikelnummer,artikelsequence,datum from auftragdaten_level_sub22 r where datum > '10-JAN 1999'",ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE,ResultSet .CONCUR_UPDATABLE);
    ResultSet rs1 = ps.executeQuery();

It neglects the INDEX hint and does not give me ordered resulset.
    a.There is any workaround to solve this problem
    b.Or If there is another method that i might use to perform updates of ordered Resultset.
    Please help me.
    Regards
    Raj Kumar

I was wondering if you could simply add an "order by xxxx" clause to your select statment. This would give you an ordered result set.
    Have you tried this?

Hi! Phoneix,

As I know ,One cannot use ORDER BY clause in select statement when Resultset is in UPDATABLE mode. That's why i am forcing oracle to use Index to make ordered resultset. For example below SELECT statement has no ORDER BY clause but it gives records in DESCENDING order (salary).
    SELECT /*+INDEX_DESC(r indexsal)*/ name, depart, salary drom emp r where salary>1000;

This query works well from "SQL PLUS" but not through JDBC even it has no order by clause.

Raj

Hi!

After adding rowid field before index field in select Statement, It works fine.

Raj Kumar