Question Unanswered: Upsize from Access

Hi all

I've got a design question (quite long...)

I'm in the process of upsizing my company quoting database. It uses a Access 97 backend, replicated from the central base to several remote sites. Sites connect to their local backends with an AC97 frontend.
    I have replicated Access using the net, but bandwidth issues usually kill the process, so I tend to use emailing the backends back & forth.

My 'theory' is to replace the backends with SQL Server (at the main base) and MSDE (at the remote sites) which I then synchronize using the net.

The frontends I would rewrite in Access XP - maybe even make them .ADE's so as not having to install XP for users.

My question is, are there holes in the theory? Is there a better way? Are there resources I should look at before embarking on the project (or barking up the wrong tree?!)

A couple of PS's - We're a microsoft shop - Win2k server/workstations; but I'm open to open-source solutions...

-we're in country Victoria (Australia); bandwidth IS a problem...

Thanks for reading!
    Cals

Access and SQL-S.

When you say:
    Access up front and SQL S. in the back
    - would this mean that some tables on the Access end would be LINKED (ODBC for SQL-S.) to the back-end SQL-S?

Re: Access and SQL-S.

- would this mean that some tables on the Access end would be LINKED (ODBC for SQL-S.) to the back-end SQL-S? [/B][/QUOTE]

-I think what I'd do is have all the tables in SQL-S, and link them to the Access front-end...
    -so the data is all in SQL-S (& able to be accessed from other means, like the web (ASP/Perl), etc