Question Unanswered: Federate database ?

Hi,
    I have a question, if I installed the same version of DB2, say DB2 UDB EEE v7.2 on Linux based machine and Windows based machine, Can these two machines do database partition? OR they are consider as federate database system eventhough they installed the same version of DB2? Can I partition the database using one database partition node on Linux and one database partition node on Window machines?

Thanks

Ellen

Arrow Re: Federate database ?

You have spoken about two different things,
    (1) Federated database concept using which you can have tables residing in different datasources (which can be another db2 database, oracle, sybase etc. ) in the same query .

eg, select * from db2tab1,oratab1 where db2tab1.col1=oratab1.col1

If you want this functionality, the answer is yes for your question. You can have the datasources residing on different databases and platforms.

(2) Partitioning Database in EEE. In this case you have the data of the same large table split across many logical/physical nodes. In this case, all the database partions should run on the same OS . You can't have one node on a linux box and the other node on W2K ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by ellen
    Hi,
    I have a question, if I installed the same version of DB2, say DB2 UDB EEE v7.2 on Linux based machine and Windows based machine, Can these two machines do database partition? OR they are consider as federate database system eventhough they installed the same version of DB2? Can I partition the database using one database partition node on Linux and one database partition node on Window machines?

Thanks

Ellen

Question

Hi sathyaram,
    Thanks for your reply, now I have better understand the concepts of both. Do you that if I create 2 instances on the same machine but under different folders, Can I do the database partition?
    Also, as described in DB2 Administration Guide, the federate database system only can do read not write. Is this really true?

Thanks in advance.

Ellen

You need EEE license to do database partitioning .

Federated Database is Read-only at the moment .

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by ellen
    Hi sathyaram,
    Thanks for your reply, now I have better understand the concepts of both. Do you that if I create 2 instances on the same machine but under different folders, Can I do the database partition?
    Also, as described in DB2 Administration Guide, the federate database system only can do read not write. Is this really true?

Thanks in advance.

Ellen