Unanswered: Can not find server to upsize database

Hi,

I want to upsize an access database to sql server, i used the wizard, but in the "Choose server combo box", i find nothing.

I was doing this from my terminal computer, wich has Windows 98 me.

The server has Windows 2000 NT and SQL Server 2000.

Do i need MSDE to upsize my database!?

I really don't no what to do! How can i choose the server!?

Can anyone help me with this!?

Thanks!

Hey Miguel,

When you use the upsize wizard you have to know the name of your server. After starting it, choose create new database, then type the name of your server (ServerName) then under user ID and password type the name and password with administrative privilages to write to the server. Usually the user ID = SA and the password= "nothing" unless your administrator has changed it. Give your new database a name and choose next. Then you can choose your tables to upsize. If you are still having problems check your Drivers. Goto Control Panel and choose ODBC Data Sources, choose System DSN and create a new connection to your server. There you can test the connection. You may need to install updated drivers on your system but I highly doubt you'll get that far with this problem.

Let me know what happens.

Kal

Thanks Kpalmer!

The error msg disappeared, but i got another one, "Overflow".

I know why this happens, that's because the SQL Server version is 2000, and Access 2000 gives that error when trying to upsize.

I read in knowledge base, that there is an update to correct this problem, but i need to have Access SR-1 installed first.

How do i know if the version of my Office is a SR-1!?
    If it isn't how do i get the service release!? For Free of course!!!!!

Thanks again

If you don't remember installing SR-1 go to your control panel under Add/Remove programs and see if it is listed. Or you can choose About Access under the Help menu and see if there are any SR's installed. Check www.microsoft.com/office/downloads for the latest SR updates.

Good Luck!
    Kal