Unanswered: lost pop-down list (combo box)

After copying a combo box from one form onto a new form in the same Access 2000 database, it doesn't work on the new form... the pop-down list does not show the values in the linked table anymore.

The only thing I can detect is that, in the Row Source, the target field has [ ] around it, and when I manually delete them, they come back! That is, the Row Source should be:

SELECT[Directory].Lab FROM [Directory];

but the brackets keep recurring around [Lab].

The upshot the problem is that the pop-up box shows, not the desired alphabetical list of unique values stored in the 'Lab' field in the table 'Directory', but the contents for Lab for each of the 1800+ records (most of which are just blank).

Thank you for any help. I am a self-taught Access user who knows I have to learn a lot more!

Joyce

Is the record source for the new form the same as the old form?

Also, the row source for the combobox should be:

SELECT Directory.[Lab] FROM Directory;
    "Doing stuff is overrated. Take Hitler for example. He did lots but don't we all wish he'd have just stayed home and gotten stoned?"

Hi,

You asked me: Is the record source for the new form the same as the old form? --> yes it is -- both forms are just different displays of data from the same database.

You noted: Also, the row source for the combobox should be:
    SELECT Directory.[Lab] FROM Directory;

--> Well, I will try the above syntax - but just wondering why the Wizard would walk me through and come up with the other syntax (with brackets around [Directory]) ?
    thanks for your advice, i'll lett you know what happens.
    Joyce