Angry Unanswered: Corrupt Workgroup Information File(MDW)

I am currently having an issue with the workgroup information file that I use to secure multiple databases of mine getting corrupted multiple times during the workday. I have the workgroup stored out on a Windows 2000 server in a directory in which all users have modify to the directory as well as the mdw file itself. This is so that the users can generate the locking file to use the workgroup.

I've tried to change the LAN permissions so that the users only have read only to the mdw file and that seemed to work, but if you have VBA code in your database that makes a call to the workgroup to check if a user is a member of a group, the database doesn't work correctly. This is wierd because it seems like the user doesn't have the ability to read the workgroup to see if they have group membership, when the LAN permissions are set for them to have read only.

The workgroup was created with the Workgroup Administrator file that came with Microsoft Access 97. Are there user or group limits within the workgroup information file that I need to be made aware of?

Any help on this would be greatly appreaciated.

I have encounter similar problems when one of my user is trying to find User/Group information.

My solution was to create in code an administrator workspace so a user with no administrative permissions on the MDW file could still read group and user information.

For example, if the administrator of a database is Joe with password Zigma the you open an administrator workspace in code and even a logged user will read and save information in the MDW file as long as that workspace is opened.

Dim AdmWks As Workspace
    Set AdmWks = DBEngine.CreateWorkspace("Temporary", "Joe", "Zigma")

Make sure you close it after processing
    Hope it help

PS) I have also encountered multiple corruption problems with the MDW file when shared on a server. It looks like the MDW file is more prone to problems then the shared MDB data file. Strange!!!

Christian