Unhappy Unanswered: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2] SQL30081N ....Protocol specific error code(s): "73", "*",

SQL Message: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2] SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "". Communication function detecting the error: "recv". Protocol specific error code(s): "73", "*", "0". SQLSTATE=08001

I am getting this error when trying to log on to DB2 using DSN. This is happening sporadically. Can any one help me out in this.

We are having the same problem with sporadic connection failures with the same message. The problems used to occur about 5% of the time, but jumped up to about 60% of the time when we upgraded to V7 OS/390.

Are you using JDBC to connect? What level of the drivers are you using and what is the OS and DB2 server level you are connecting to?

Question TCP ERROR on recv AS/400

I get the same sporadic behavior (TCP error thru
    'recv') using odbc conection
    from Apahce/PHP/Linux to AS/400. That happens
    about 5% of time as someone stated.
    Really can't find out why...but im very worried about that
    jump up to 60% !!!
    I am trying to use a wrapper to connect that retries the connection but thats something new and i dont know yet whether its gonna be a valid solution or not.

Has someone found something else about it ?

Here's my new php code:

function _as_open() {
    do {
    $conn = odbc_pconnect("a","b","c");
    while (($conn == false) && $i < 5);
    if ($conn == false) {
    print "Error connecting, please reload";
    return $conn;

Waiting for comments, bye

Re: TCP ERROR on recv AS/400

Thanks for the response. I don't know much about php and AS/400 servers, but the wrapper idea is a good one anyway. There are several reasons why the connection could be dropped depending on your app, so its good to check. We do that in several places in our Java code.

Also, since we have upgraded to V7 Fix Pack 6 of the client drivers, we have seen these messages drop off to practically nothing so it appears that there were some issues in that code that were cleaned up. You should make sure you are at least at that level. We haven't tested FP 8 yet, so I don't know about that level.

Good luck!