Unanswered: Linked Server...Help!!!

I've searched the forum for a suitable solution for our current issue here.
    Unfortunately, I'm yet to find a situation exactly matching ours.

I'm testing the linked server for SQL Server 2K to DB2/AS400. I've created the DSN and the linked server but I got the following message:

Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error.
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver
    Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed]
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: [IBM][Client Access ODBC Driver
    (32-bit)][DB2/400 SQL]Communication link failure. COMM RC=0x3]

We're using Client Access V3R1M2 and I'm testing on a Windows 2K Pro PC. I also tried at a Windows 2K Server. Our AS400 is V3R7. We can't buy additional tools nor upgrade the Client Access for now.

Please help.

What this error is saying is basicly you haven't set up your odbc driver yet. You need to set it up before you can set up you linked server. I hope this helps.

I don't think it's possible for me to create a DSN without having a driver installed. I configured a Client Access DSN which points to the AS400 Server.

Or are you talking about a different driver which I should install on the SQL Server box?

I ran into the same problem, until we installed the latest version of Client Access Express and its service pack. Once that was done and the DSN was configured, it worked like a charm.

CA-Express is not available for our current version. We need millions in order to get the upgrade. We can't do that for the moment.