Database Independant Naming Conventions

Are there any database independant guidelines which deal with naming conventions for tables, relations, relationships etc. I am trying to find stuff through google and coming up blank.

Is there an international body that may have written something about this. I am trying to design a database with these standards in mind. I know that each proprietary system has their own limitations for these and was wanting something generic.

I suppose I am after the ODBC Data Naming Conventions or OBDCDNC or the equivalent.

Harry

Wink Database Independant Naming Conventions

You should refer to Hungarian Notation for standard naming conventions. You might find something on it. A REALLY good reference, albeit unofficial, is HERE . Here are some additional resources. I hope this helps!

McConnell, Steve. Code Complete. Redmond, WA: Microsoft Press, 1993.
    McConnell, Steve. Software Project Survival Guide. Redmond, WA: Microsoft Press, 1998.
    Maguire, Steve. Writing Solid Code. Redmond, WA: Microsoft Press, 1993.
    Ranade and Nash. The Elements of C Programming Style. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1992.
    Kernighan and Plauger. The Elements of Programming Style. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1982.
    Caner, Cem, et al. Testing Computer Software, Second Edition. New York: Wiley Computer Publishing, 1999.
    Hunt, Andrew, et al. The Pragmatic Programmer. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 2000.

ps. try this also:

DB Naming Conventions

This is the sort of stuff I was after but what I needed was a site that detailed a naming convention that covered the majority of databases. For instance the underscore is a single wildcard in Oracle but a valid namespace character in mysqlserver.

I suppose I will have to trawl the main databases for their naming conventions and come up with something generic.

Harry