Unanswered: Altering Characterset of Database

Hello

I am using Oracle 8.1.6.2 at home on SS20 solaris 8. I wanted to change the characterset of my DB to UTF8. I found this procedure to do it but it did something for a while and then stalled. Now I am not sure how to come out of it. Can anyone give me some way as to how I can abort this process or get out of this since the cursor is just blinking.

SVRMGRL> startup mount
    SVRMGRL> alter system enable restricted session;
    SVRMGRL> alter system set job_queue_process=0; (did not work)
    SVRMGRL> alter system set aq_tm_process=0 (did not work)
    SVRMGRL> alter database open;
    SVRMGRL> alter database character set UTF8;
    SVRMGRL> shutdown immediate; -- or normal
    SVRMGRL> startup

In the cases where the new character set is not a strict superset of the original character set, a full export/import is necessary.

Thanks

Cecil

It's OK. I just aborted the process.

I'd like to know how to change the characterset of my database. When cerating it, I specified UTF8 but I see it as US&ASCII.

Cool

What is your original character set from which you are converting? It has to be superset of UTF8, otherwise it will not work the way how you are trying to do it?

Post more details,

clio_usa
    Senior Oracle DBA

Visit our Web site

Hi,

I wish to find out a few things about converting an existing db from the default US7ASCII char set to UTF8 char set.

1. can a db in US7ASCII be migrated to UTF8 format, with all the existing data intact? will there be a risk in data corruption?

2. what is the estimated effort to migrate/convert (if migration/conversion is possible) (Not sure)

3. Any other things that I may have left out.

It is ridiculous to note that when I clearly speicifed UTF8 it still created the DB with US7ASCII.