Cool Unanswered: Database with clients in different Countries

Hi,
    My favorite User has an idea to create MS Access Client/Server database. He needs more then 35 tables, 25 reports and couple of forms to edit transaction records (15000 record / year ).

The server side of this program will be in Hungary and clients will be in Nederland, Germany and Hungery too. The number of users will be 25 and average of concurent loggin will be 4-6 user.

My suggestion was that, He should create SQL 2000 database and create MS Access 97 client, which will be use server side stored procedures to manage any data manipulation or data selection.

Could you send me some information about similar project or about performance tuning in this case? Do you have any idea to use some other tools? They have a very short time to develop this application.

Thanks,
    Attila

Sounds like you need to go a little more robust than Access.
    I suggest SQL Server with a web front end.

Smile

Thanks a lot for your help. I agree with you.

How would you set up the web front end? Html? XML? Any good aps to design webpages connected to an sql server? How would reports be generated?

If you had larger distances - say one office in the US, one in the UK and one in HK - could you use just one sql server placed say in UK? Would this require some "super connections" or could a normal, say 2 mbit/s, internet connection do?

Ideally, the web server should be in the same location as the database server. The power of using a web front end is in that the database calls are done by the web server. So it doesn't matter where the users are. The users send 'instructions' to the web server through their browser.

The language used for creating the web pages depends on your web server software, and what you prefer to use. Just HTML cannot do database calls, so you can't use that, but HTML tags are still used in the chosen language.

The most pouplar options are: CGI, PHP or ASP (only for NT/Win2000 servers)

Hope this clarifies it for you....