Unanswered: Db with many variables

Hey everyone
    my task is to convert an excel workbook with about a dozen or so macros into MS Access. The problem is that there is only a small percentage of data that can be represented with tables... the rest of the data is variable ( user-defined )... This is basically a cost estimating tool, and the idea is to put it in a more data-friendly program like Access and eventually make a front end to it and share it over the intranet.. any ideas on how to structure this task, what I should do, and not do??
    All suggestions are welcome.

TIA

It sounds like this should be a straightforward form with input fields, selection fields, calculated fields and lookup fields. Because you choose Access, I presume you are going to store data. Your method of saving to the storage tables can for example be a recordset that you builld with your variables and then write this to storage with a save action.

Hope this helps...

how bout this?

I'll try to be as clear as possible with these examples... well for instance, in Excel there are a number of sheets and each sheet asks the user a different requirement that factors into the final 'answer' for estimating the cost... so on one sheet you'd see a bunch of given variables, in this case they are manuals, so the user checks off which manuals are needed and by how many people.. from this there is a set equation that calculates this data and when all the sheets have been covered, a final sheet allows the user to get the 'answer', which takes all the selected data and computes them to get the estimate..
    the main problem is how to tackle this..im good with excel, and Access is fairly new to me... I believe i will have to use VBA in this and there is no way around it.. that's as far as I can go with this.. any ideas on how to go about this?...all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks..

oh, i know this sounds a bit simple, but how would a recordset help? I looked thru the help section in Access and having trouble figuring out what it does..

If you are not familiar with VBA, then perhaps it is best to stick with Excel. So when you say you need a data-friendly program, it is really for the lookup stuff, not to store user results then.

If you decide to go with Access, the form would take variables, lookup results in the table (using DLookup for example), process the results with code, do more stuff, and generate an answer.

Perhaps recordsets aren't the way to go for you then, but they could come in handy. Recordsets are like virtual tables that you can use to lookup values, scroll through, save data to a table, etc.

Last tip, avoid macro's in Access, use VBA instead. Some users might disagree with this, but code is much more versatile and powerful.

Hope this helps.....