Unanswered: Slow intermedia indexing on Tru64 5.1vs Tru64 4.0f

DBA's,

I am an SA of a Tru64 5.1 TruCluster 5.1 ES40 machine. We are running Oracle 8.1.7.3 and are trying to perform a intermedia index of some PDF files. On our old system running Tru64 4.0f it takes around 50 minutes on our new shiny system it takes 16 hours...we have gone through several iterations of performance tuning to no real avail. I think that is has something to do with the oracle binaries or the linking of them....has anyone else experienced this....Please Help Me!!!!

Lee Brewer

I have experienced the same problem of slow intermedia text searches too.But, my searches were on a column in the oracle table.

I applied the following commands and the performance improvement was dramatic. You might want to verify with someone before executing these commands.

Try this

sqlplus cisdba/...

SQL>analyze index <context index name> delete statistics

sqlplus ctxsys/...

SQL>DISASSOCIATE STATISTICS FROM INDEXTYPES ConText;

SQL>DISASSOCIATE STATISTICS FROM PACKAGES ctx_contains;

Smile

It appears that the operating system is not the culprit. It was the use of a filter that was slowing down the newer tru64 5.1 system. The older system had the option set to null_filter and was able to zip through the indexing, when we applied that filter that is used on the new system it was slowed down to a crippling pace. Thanks

Lee