Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Which is the best Database Server?

Hi all

I know everyone will have their favourite package and the answer will depend on factors such as budgets etc, however any thoughts and guidance will be helpful. The problem is thus:

I am attempting to learn to collect data and design databases for clients both online and offline. In a nutshell I need to know the best commercial applications to learn. I am familiar with Access, SQL, PHP and ASP, but want to move toward higher things. Where should I start? Paradox? Oracle? Any other programmes I can use to make life easier?

Also, what experience and qualifications will a prospective employer want? How can I learn the tricks hackers use to get into the encrypted tables in order to export them? (Thinking like a Hacker is important I am told if my creations are to be secure). So many questions and so few answers. Please contact me either via this board or directly by e-mail. Your response could very well help me restart my career.
    Cheers
    Dataferret

Re: Which is the best Database Server?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jprimedit

As you have mentioned above this choice is highly specific. Before you start looking for a DB determine several things:

1) The data capacity for your system
    2) Hardware and operating system you plan to use
    3) Money you plan to spend on the project

So after considering the given points I may recommend :
    1) free RDBMS
    a) MySQL for little databases with no extraordinary functionality
    b) Interbase (more sophisticated) with lots of useful stuff in it
    c) PostgreSQL - pretty good in all resrects
    2) commercial RDBMS
    a) MSSQL very easy to use. does not require lots of administration,
    suitable for little and average sized DB
    b) DB2 - very stable
    c) Sybase - very reliable
    b) Oracle
    Standart Edition - for little and average sized DB
    has limited functionality (some options are absent as distinct from
    Enterprise Edition)
    Enterprise Edition - has a number of useful features intergrated
    in it. Maybe used for variety of systems

Concerning hackers' tricks, all commercial DBs are usually protected
    from the intruders, but the quality of this protection varies from db to db.
    As for free DBs they also have lots security stuff either integrated or available as additions.
    Hope this information helps you make up your mind !

Thanks Dmitry for your comprehensive reply. Is there a definitive list of download sites for all the above software (trial versions, plug-ins, apps etc) where I can obtain copies in order to help me decide? I don't think there is much point rushing out to buy them until I have decided the best platform for my needs. Also, any ideas about training programmes and certification I would need to be taken seriously?

Regarding the security issues. Imagine we had a CD-ROM with db files encrypted. I have seen someone export these tables to CSV format but do not know how they achieved it. Obviously, knowing this would greatly increase my knowledge regarding security issues and reversing etc. The majority of people I speak with highlight security and CD-ROMs as one of their prime concerns when publishing data.

Once again, any help and guidance is most appreciated.
    Cheers
    Dataferret

Download sites:
    1) Oracle - otn.oracle.com for trial oracle software
    2) mySQL - don't remember exactly but try to search on the net, there
    are many mirror sites with free mysql sofware
    3) Interbase - look at official Borland (Inprise) site
    4) MSSQL - guess you could find a fresh copy on MSDN

Training programmes - look at the official sites of such companies as Oracle and Microsoft. Apart from that, big companies have lots of partners in many countries, usually they have training you need.

As to security issues, I can assure you that the situation you described is not possible with most of the commercial DBs. I cannot say about MSSQL 'cause I don't use it, but the above mentioned situation is completely impossible with Oracle. Here you can be certain.

Hope it helps.

Once again many thanks dimitry. I will check out the places you suggest. Looks like I have a hell of a learning curve ahead.
    Cheers
    Dataferret

Hi ,
    I just find your post while surfing, please find some info, it may useful, i worked on both SQLServer2000 & oracle8i

SQL2000 - This almost matching performance with oracle(but limited features, only for windows platform, easy use, easy administration)

Sybase - very simillar to SQL2000 in programming & other aspects.(supports both windows & unix platform) , if your product requires db only on microsoft platform you can go for sqlserver2000.

oracle - if yoyr product requires database on both unix&microsoft you can go for oracle, more control for DB tunning, requires some extra stuff to install&maintain

mysql - limited features, it still not supporting full set of SQL Statements.
    no procedures.

with regards,
    Sathishkumar

Hi ,
    I just find your post while surfing, please find some info, it may useful, i worked on both SQLServer2000 & oracle8i

SQL2000 - This almost matching performance with oracle(but limited features, only for windows platform, easy use, easy administration)

Sybase - very simillar to SQL2000 in programming & other aspects.(supports both windows & unix platform) , if your product requires db only on microsoft platform you can go for sqlserver2000.

oracle - if your product requires database on both unix&microsoft you can go for oracle, more control for DB tunning, requires some extra stuff to install&maintain

mysql - limited features, it still not supporting full set of SQL Statements.
    no procedures.

with regards,
    Sathishkumar

very sorry,

by mistake it got twise

sathishkumar

Many thanks for the good advice. I think Oracle 8i is going to be the best for my needs since I require the output to run on both Unix and NT platforms. I have been having a problem locating a working copy of it. Is there any reason for this? Do you know of a good download site where I can get it?

Also, does Oracle work on Windows XP or will I require an alternative Operating system (i.e. Linux /UNIX / NT).

Hope you can help. Thanks
    Cheers
    Dataferret

Hi,

Yes , you can install oracle on windows xp platform.

With regards,
    V.Sathishkumar

Thanks for the good advice.

You may all be interested to know I FINALLY managed to locate an original copy of Oracle 8i. It comes on 34 disks so it is no surprise why there are problems finding working versions. Also, you may be interested to know it carries a hefty price tag too. OUCH!

I will keep you all posted as to my progress (if anyone is interested anyway)

Wish me luck
    Cheers
    Dataferret

Hi,
    Wishes, it's very interesting, you can find lot of documents for oracle installation in net. just you need to type the error no(google.com).

With regards,
    V.Sathishkumar

Many thanks. Will certainly give it a try when I hit the proverbial brick walls I am bound to encounter.

Cheers
    Cheers
    Dataferret

Re: Which is the best Database Server?

Post to a Sybase group and you'll end up getting convincing answers supporting Sysbase etc.

Such questions need to be cross-posted ... That will help in making a better choice ...

All the best ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by Jprimedit
    Hi all

I know everyone will have their favourite package and the answer will depend on factors such as budgets etc, however any thoughts and guidance will be helpful. The problem is thus:

I am attempting to learn to collect data and design databases for clients both online and offline. In a nutshell I need to know the best commercial applications to learn. I am familiar with Access, SQL, PHP and ASP, but want to move toward higher things. Where should I start? Paradox? Oracle? Any other programmes I can use to make life easier?

Also, what experience and qualifications will a prospective employer want? How can I learn the tricks hackers use to get into the encrypted tables in order to export them? (Thinking like a Hacker is important I am told if my creations are to be secure). So many questions and so few answers. Please contact me either via this board or directly by e-mail. Your response could very well help me restart my career.

Many thanks for the advice. I will try posting to a newsgroup as you suggest.
    Cheers
    Dataferret