Unanswered: appending autonumber tables together

i have a database that uses autonumbers as the keyfield. when i was goe for a few days, somone in the office "backed up" the system. now i have all the old records in a copy off the back end, and all the newer records in the current backend. now i have to find a way to merge the records together. i tried appending the new data to the old, but that was'nt going to work because some of the auto numbers were used in both tables for different records. not only that, there are other tables that were using those numbers to relate to each other.

is there a way to append one database to another and change the key's so that they will keep their relationships, and just change all the autonumber parent and child keys for the field RequestID? Request ID is the only value that needs to be changed.

anyone have a similar problem?
    Unique like everyone else,
    Clark
    -------------------------------------------
    POSTING IS THE TERRIBLE SECRET OF SPACE!

Try appending the old data into the new table but don't append the OLD AUTONUMBER field, as new #s will be assigned in the NEW table.
    "There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over!"

Lightbulb

what about my related records in other tables? i found a work around for my problem. i ran the different records thru my updat form and then just deleted the autonumber. now it's using invoice number as the primary key.
    Unique like everyone else,
    Clark
    -------------------------------------------
    POSTING IS THE TERRIBLE SECRET OF SPACE!

Your idea sounds like a good fix. Had I known there were other tables that needed the old AUTONUMBER I wouldn't have made my suggestion.

Sorry!
    "There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over!"