Question Unanswered: Oracle tuning tools for 8i

I have just recently done an Oracle 9i performance tuning course, and during that course a number of tools were outlined (mainly add ons for OEM) which can be purchased at an additional cost.

Basically I am interested in what performance tuning tools are avialable for Oracle 8i, whether they be included in the standard edition or an additional add on.

Does Oracle 8i have some of these additional GUI's tools that are avialable in 9i?

Any indications would be helpful.

Thanks

Dan.
    Daniel Buckingham
    Technical Consultant
    Mercia Software

Hi,

The tools shipped with 8i are (almost) the same as those with 9i.
    There's the OEM with the optional Tuning package (SQL Analyze, index wizard etc.)

Ruud
    Ruud Schilders
    -----------------
    Oracle DBA
    e-mail : ruud@schilders.it
    URL : www.schilders.it
    Twitter : www.twitter.com/ruudschilders

Re: Oracle tuning tools for 8i

Originally posted by dbuckingham
    Basically I am interested in what performance tuning tools are avialable for Oracle 8i, whether they be included in the standard edition or an additional add on.
    I may recommend you STATSPACK tuning package that has been available starting from oracle 8.1.6. It is also included with Oracle 8.1.7
    Apart from that you may use old utilities (BSTAT/ESTAT) comming with all versions of Oracle DB.

Talking

Thanks for that, i wasnt sure when statspack become avialable. I am assuming the "tunning Pack 2.2.0.0.0" is the optional stuff that is for OEM?

Cheers.
    Daniel Buckingham
    Technical Consultant
    Mercia Software

Thanks for that, i wasnt sure when statspack become avialable. I am assuming the "tunning Pack 2.2.0.0.0" is the optional stuff that is for OEM?

Cheers.
    You are right it is optional.

Cool

You can look around and explore some other non-Oracle tools available. It does not mean they are not doing the tunning job easy, if they are not be Oracle.

If you are currious to find out what they are, the shortcuts to the links are Here and Here

Enloy.

clio_usa
    Senior Oracle DBA

visit our web site

Check LECCO SQL Expert and LECCO DB Expert Performance Optimization Software.
    http://www.leccotech.com

These tools automatically transform SQL statements in every possible alternative to locate the most efficient SQL.

LECCO DB Expert also generates every possible index set for a SQL statement and predicts the performance impact in other SQL statements without physically creation of indexes (uses virtual indexes)

It also allows you to predict performance changes due to database environment changes.

I have just recently done an Oracle 9i performance tuning course, and during that course a number of tools were outlined (mainly add ons for OEM) which can be purchased at an additional cost.

Does Oracle 8i have some of these additional GUI's tools that are avialable in 9i?

Any indications would be helpful.

Thanks

Dan.

Does anyone know specifics for where to download from and how to install OEM Tuning pack for 8.1.7? I did not see it anywhere on OTN. I did custom 8.1.7 install, but don't see it there either