Question Unanswered: Raw Partitions VS UFS with forcedirectio

I am using ASE 12.5 with files on ufs on Solaris 8. Will I get more improved performance using raw partitions or just mounting with forcedirectio?

I am not worried about up to the minute recovery with this particular application. So should I turn dsync off for all my devices?

dsync default is on

dsync default is on

Cool Re: Raw Partitions VS UFS with forcedirectio

Hi,

If you strip with UFS and directio, it will out perform a raw. If not, these 2 options are comparable in performance.

Cheers.

This is one of the oldest questions and has been well and truly put to bed since 11.0.3, especially on Solaris. It continues to be true on 11.5.x, 12.0.x and 12.5.x.

On a database of any significant size (ie. more than 100 gb), raw partitions will give you substantial performance over ufs. Spreading your data/index/log across many spindles will give you further performance. Do not forget to tune tempdb.

Recovery is not an option, it is a requirement.

Raw partitions have other advantages as well, not just performance and recovery. The Sybase server is already doing a massive amount of caching and paging (I trust you have tuned the data cache) which your o/s does not need to repeat, as it would under ufs.

My comments are based on real performance tuning exercises on large dbs, not on product brochures and calculations.
    Last edited by DerekA; 09-17-02 at 04:42.
    Derek Asirvadem
    Senior Sybase DBA/Information Architect derekATsoftwaregemsDOTcomDOTau
    Anything worth doing is worth doing Right The First Time
    Spend your money on standards-compliant development or spend 10 times more fixing it