Red face Unanswered: how to in access`

I have created a very powerfull sql db and a web based cleint designed in asp, but I need my app to be able to print checks, so I figured the best way would be to have an access based cleint application to run a query and do the formating and print the checks.

my question is how should I go about doing this forms or reports?
    I basicaly need to ask the user 2 dates to get the "pay period" and then also once a print request is made to also insert some data to record that it was printed and the $ amount etc. I am very familar with VB script and SQL server, but access forms and reports is still kinda new to me.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Jeremy

Jeremy,

Use a report. You have much greater and finer control over page size, page breaks, can shrink, can grow, etc. etc. in a Report than you ever have by printing a Form.

Good luck. Reports ain't all that easy. I think you are going to burn some midnight oil.

Rod

Jeremy,

OK, I've got over my initial enthusiasm. Rereading your post I think that you will need a Form to manage the Report. You do not say whether these cheques will be printed individually or continuously - I now assume the former from your description.

My main concern is how to get the data from the Form to the Report. Reports in Access work from Tables or Queries; you cannot pass data directly to a Report. Thus, if I'm right about individual printing, you will be into writing procedures to populate a table with your cheque data that is then used as the source for your cheque print. I'm quite willing to email you some skeleton procedures for managing and populating such a table.

You will definitely need to write some event procedures underlying controls on the form.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

Rod

Sure

I would love some help! anything you can supply would be great!

Jeremy