Unanswered: Automation error?

I am having a problem fixing a database.

There are forms in the database that i can't access to design or view or save/export or rename. Whenever i click on the form the screen just flickers like it's trying to open and does nothing.

When i tried to import this form it gave an automation error. But i can't fix it up as i can't edit the form. Running a macro for the form says that the form doesnt exits!

Any help would be aprreciated

Simon

Is this an MDE file, you are trying to access (ha,ha)?

it's just a normal .mdb file?

Is the MDB file in your current version of Access? Did you design the application or is it an inherited file? Do you think a specific event caused the problem? Have you tried copying the whole file to another location on your drive?

yeh...it's an access97 file...i didn't design it, they just want it fixed. I've tried copying it on different machines and copying into a new database...but alas..no good!

i think it has something to do with a missing linked table that no longer exists..but normally i get an error message...there is just no message that comes up...the screen just flickers

Silly question, have you tried going into the VBE from the tools menu or is this disabled?

Have you tried bypassing the start up?

I don't think a missing table would stop you importing the form, I am wondering about in built security.

I get the stupid error message 'The form name 'Buildings form' is mispelled or refers to a form that doesn't exist' for example when running a command that opens the form. But the form exists with that exact name....but just can't open or anything!

I can go into the VB editor on my 2000 machine but the code is only open forms stuff, and even when i try to edit or save i get the same problem that it doesn't recognise the name. I'm not sure about the secuity...i don't know much about this, but it says that the security is set so i can read and run etc..

1: Okay from the VBE use the search to find all references to the form you cannot open, and comment them out.

2: On the forms you cannot get to open go into the VBE behind each form and put a breakpoint on each forms on open event. (Even if you have to write some code to break on.)

3: Check the forms recordsource, and see if the queries are based on any missing tables. If they are you may be able to rebuild the missing table or locate the problem.

4: Once you have checked all the above you are ready to run the forms. As each form runs the breakpoints should enable you to step through the code and see any hidden items that also might be throwing you out.

HTH