Arrow Unanswered: compressing the backup

Hello,
    The db2 backup file of our database is too big, about 16GB. Can we compress the backup file? Doesn't the compression corrupt the contents of backup file?
    If we can compress this file, does it make any difference which compression method we use, compress or gzip for example?

Thank you in advance,
    Visda

Re: compressing the backup

I can't imagine why compression will cause the file to corrupt ...

I have used the unix compress/uncompress,gzip/gunzip on my backups and they have never given problems ..

Let us hear others experiences also .,..

Originally posted by Visda
    Hello,
    The db2 backup file of our database is too big, about 16GB. Can we compress the backup file? Doesn't the compression corrupt the contents of backup file?
    If we can compress this file, does it make any difference which compression method we use, compress or gzip for example?

Thank you in advance,
    Visda

Hi Visda,
    I have seen more than 100 gigs backups images being compressed without any loss of data. Yes, you save space but there can be one disadvantage. That being the time of recovery. In case you want to recover from the compressed backup, your time to recovery goes up coz now you have to uncompress the backup before the recovery starts.

You can keep atleast the latest backup as uncompressed while all previous backup images can be compressed, as per you business needs.

Regards
    Sumeet

PS: I use 'compress' compression tool to compress my backups in unix.

Smile

Thank you both. Your inputs were very helpful.