Unanswered: Conditional Trigger

I'm hoping someone here can help me with this situation...I've looked everywhere and cannot find a solution.

I have two separate databases. Table structures are different. A record is inserted into Table 1 of Database A. Then, when Field 1 in Table 1 is updated, I want my trigger to fire and insert certain values (selected into "inserted") to be inserted into Database B, Table 1.

I have created a trigger that will do just that. Here's my problem:

I need to ensure the trigger only fires if two conditions are met. If the value in Field 1 is updated to one specific value, and if the type of transaction (housed in a separate field) is one of several specific types (linked to the query from a separate table).

Otherwise, I want the trigger to be ignored completely.

Below is my current code. Can anyone here assist?
    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Dirk

CREATE TRIGGER [ELOGXWALK] ON [dbo].[Appointments]
    AFTER UPDATE
    AS

SET XACT_ABORT ON

IF UPDATE(Status)
    BEGIN

declare @recnum int
    declare @dateofenc datetime
    declare @timein varchar (5)
    declare @Code varchar (6)
    declare @Descr varchar (25)
    declare @clinic varchar (6)
    declare @status varchar (5)
    declare @Appointment_ID int
    declare @Encounter_Number int
    declare @nextnum int

select @recnum = fldrec_num, @dateofEnc = left(appointment_datetime, 11), @timein=right('0'+convert(varchar,time_in), 4),
    @Code = Code, @Descr = Descr, @clinic = 'ONSITE', @Status = status, @Appointment_ID = Appointment_ID,
    @Encounter_Number = Encounter_Number from inserted
    left join Crosswalk.dbo.EncounterLink on TypeID = Appointment_Type_ID
    left join patients on patients.patient_id = inserted.patient_id
    left join contacts on contacts.contact_id = patients.contact_id
    left join DBOCC.MCH_OHM.XWALK.EMPLOYEE on FLDSSN = contacts.ssn
    where Appointment_Type_ID in (select TypeID from Crosswalk.dbo.EncounterLink)
    and status = 'A'

set @nextnum = (select fldnextnum from DBOCC.MCH_OHM.XWALK.tblrecnumseq where fldtablename = 'ELOG' )
    update DBOCC.MCH_OHM.XWALK.tblrecnumseq
    set fldnextnum = (select fldnextnum from DBOCC.MCH_OHM.XWALK.tblrecnumseq where fldtablename = 'ELOG') + 1
    where fldtablename = 'ELOG'

insert into DBOCC.mch_ohm.XWALK.ELOG (FLDREC_NUM, FLDEMPLOYEE, FLDDATE, FLDTIME, FLDTYPE, FLDDESCR, FLDCLINIC, FLDRECNUM, FLDENCNUMBR)
    values (@nextnum, @recnum, @dateofenc, @timein, @code, @Descr, @clinic, @appointment_id, @Encounter_Number)

END

IF UPDATE (Encounter_Number)
    BEGIN

select @Appointment_ID = Appointment_ID, @Encounter_Number = Encounter_Number from inserted
    left join DBOCC.MCH_OHM.XWALK.ELOG on FLDRECNUM = inserted.Appointment_ID

update DBOCC.MCH_OHM.XWALK.ELOG
    set FLDENCNUMBR = @Encounter_Number
    where FLDRECNUM = @Appointment_ID

END

can you provide more specifics on the two conditions?
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

First condition. The TypeID referenced in the script must be any one of about 10 different values. These are stored in a separate table (EncounterLink) along with the corresponding value I want to load into Database B. If the TypeID does not equal one of the values in the EncounterLink table, I want the trigger to disregard everything.

Second condition. The Status field should only fire the trigger if a certain value is entered. In this case, only the value "A" should fire the trigger. In the future I will probably want one or two different trigger functions based on different values.

Dirk

great! your current design will work if one row is updated but will fail (in some fashion) if 2+ rows are updated. Do you want to handle multiple row updates? also, do you want the Encounter_number updated only if the TypeID and Status are okay or are these seperate events?
    Paul Young

I should not have to deal with multiple row updates, because the front end application will only do a single row at a time anyway (clicking a button in the app triggers the change).

I've actually made progress by specifically referencing "inserted" in the where statement of my select and adding an "If @@rowcount > 0" and "Begin" command just prior to the set statement. It seems to be working properly all around, but any streamlining suggestions will be more than welcome, as I am not really a DBA - my company justs asks that I play one during working hours!

Dirk

it sounds like you are on your way...

I would have taken a diffrent approach so the trigger could handle multiple row updates but the bottom line is that you understand the trigger and it works. I would suggest two things though,

First
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    set @nextnum = (select fldnextnum from DBOCC.MCH_OHM.XWALK.tblrecnumseq where fldtablename = 'ELOG' )
    update DBOCC.MCH_OHM.XWALK.tblrecnumseq set fldnextnum = @nextnum + 1 where fldtablename = 'ELOG'

or even

begin transaction
    update DBOCC.MCH_OHM.XWALK.tblrecnumseq set fldnextnum = fldnextnum + 1 where fldtablename = 'ELOG'
    select @nextnum = (fldnextnum - 1) from DBOCC.MCH_OHM.XWALK.tblrecnumseq where fldtablename = 'ELOG'
    commit transaction

And
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IF UPDATE (Encounter_Number) BEGIN
    set FLDENCNUMBR = inserted.Encounter_Number
    from inserted
    join DBOCC.MCH_OHM.XWALK.ELOG on inserted.Appointment_ID = DBOCC.MCH_OHM.XWALK.ELOG.FLDRECNUM
    end

these are minor things but (IMHO) you should save every step you can when writting triggers.
    Last edited by Paul Young; 06-18-02 at 11:49.
    Paul Young

Thanks for the tips! Both make sense to me, but the second one does not work...

Server: Msg 117, Level 15, State 2, Procedure ELOGXWALK, Line 49
    The number name 'DBOCC.MCH_OHM.XWALK.ELOG' contains more than the maximum number of prefixes. The maximum is 3.

Dirk

ARG!!! I do that sometimes.
    I don't use liked servers that much but I think is should be something like

IF UPDATE (Encounter_Number) BEGIN
    set FLDENCNUMBR = inserted.Encounter_Number
    from inserted
    join OPENQUERY(DBOCC, select FLDRECNUM from MCH_OHM.XWALK.ELOG) elog on inserted.Appointment_ID = elog.FLDRECNUM
    end

What you have is just fine though.
    Paul Young