Unanswered: Total Beginner Question

What scripting language is best to use for integrating a mySQL database with a web site? PHP? I'd like to use ASP. Is that advisable?

PHP roxx.

php is much faster for MySQL than ASP 'cause ASP had to connect through ODBC ... also nown as the slowest DB connection ever.

so long

The choice is of PHP and perl depending on what u need to do with ur code.[FONT=times new roman][COLOR=red][B]

ASP + VB

I use DLL's coded with Visual Basic which does all the MySQL database related things. ASP only creates/renders the web-site. It's fast because VB is not script language like PHP and ASP are. I think the best part is that you can debug both ASP and VB when coding with Visual Studio 6.0/.NET so development is fast. Sometimes it might be hard to resolve errors when you can't debug your code (I haven't heard that you can debug PHP. I might be wrong.....).

Use Asp, from my experience it's fast. You just have to have a connection string.

PHP RULEZ...
    Look. You don't need DEBUG because in PHP is easy, quikly, ans safety, no need so much programming experience, only patience and curiocity.....

PHP is easy and powerfull, really powerfull, my experience is about 2 years of exits in my work and with my clients.

Problems : 0

I Recommend you PHP, no more..

I use both ASP/SQL Server and PHP/MySQL, both at work and for "casual coding"

I've recently undertaken a feasibility study testing the viability of moving our large (many Gb) SQL Server database over to MySQL. In summary, the results (based on lots of custom profiling) were:

ASP + MS-SQL = slowest
    ASP + MyODBC + MySQL = fast
    PHP + MySQL = fastest (by a factor of nearly 40% at times)

This is for a database that is very read-intensive with a 0.5 Gb buffer given over to InnoDB.

Adding the ODBC does slow things down a little. The fact that PHP has a native library to tie into MySQL helps a great.

I prefer PHP, but then I come from a C/C++ background. As for not needing to debug PHP - no offence but that's a crock. Every professionally written application needs testing and debugging, no matter how "l33t" the language or programmer.

Mull.