Unanswered: Need help understanding table

Hello all,

I have been given an empty database that is in the process of being populated from various sources. Eventually the db will be used in a GIS and mapped.

My question is - could you help me understand how the following 3 tables work together. I am confused (escpecially with table 3) as how the information in entered and retrived.

Alright:

Table 1: Barriers

Fields:
    Barrier_ID
    UTM_zone
    easting
    northing
    barrier_type (input from variety of sources)
    comments

Table 2: Barrier_Type_Link

Barrier_id
    Barrier_type_id

Table 3:

Barrier_type_id
    Description (this fields lists 15 possible barriers)
    acronym (acronyms for barriers)

How does table 3 relate logically to table 1?

I think i am most confused as the purpose of and the way table 3 is supposed to work (did not create db). It appears that it is a sort of look up table for data entry - (no forms have been created yet for this db) since it lists a selection of barriers a user could pick from. I don't understand this table.

Please help!

If you want, I could send you the tables

yes, table 3 (barrier type) appears to be a lookup table

table 2 (barrier type link) appears to be the "crossreference" table that links barriers to barrier types in a many-to-many relationship

example:

Barrier

Barrier Type Link
    1 204
    1 307
    3 811

Barrier Type

notice that barrier 1 is related to two barrier types, barrier 2 is related to none, and barrier 3 to only one

barrier type 509 is related to no barriers

typical many-to-many relationship

rudy
    http://rudy.ca/

rudy

Yes, you are right - originally i had three tables - then on the advice of someone i dropped table 2 (link table)- because i needed a one to many relationship (a barrier can only have one type _ie" barrier can't be a culvert and a dam)

but i am still confused - think i might go back to the way it was -i think the person who created this db (with 3 tables) probably knows more than i do