Unhappy Unanswered: Problem might not be solvable.

I am in a real jam. I am putting together my company website and intranet and would like to link the company Access database. More specifically, I have a web tech support form that needs to email the form input to me as well as write it to the IS database. Also, I need to have pages that display dynamic information from the DB, some pages will be read-only, some will need to be editable.

Now the tricky part. The DB needs to be somewhere where it can be accessed by those who need it using Access, if they choose not to go through the intranet. And I can't import it into the web.

I wrote a Perl script to handle the form results, but I cannot establish an ODBC connection to a database on a network drive. I moved the DB to the server hard drive and was able to establish a connection. However, no one can access the server hard drive, and I would like to keep it that way.

Data Access Pages don't provide the flexibility that I need for the information, and they info is not always editable. ASP only seem to work if the database resides inside the web.

To make a long story longer, I need to figure out a way to link the DB to both webs while still making it accessible outside the webs.

Someone mentioned linking DB's and tables, but I am not sure how that would work.

Any Suggestions? Thanks.

You should be able to establish a connection to a network drive, just not via UNC, but if you map a network drive it should work fine. What is the error you're getting if you try to?

Error connecting to 'DSN Name' Error:[-1032][]"[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."

It is definitely not open, and I changed the permissions to give Everyone, IUSR_Machine, Domain Guests, Myself, and my computer change permission on the directory the script is in, the script itself, the directory the database is in, and the database.

I just don't understand. I moved it to the server C: drive and it connected just fine. My script didn't work, but that is a minor issue. I am not going to bother debugging the script if I can't connect.

Open to any suggestions. Thanks

There are several issues that may cause this. The one I see the most is that the iusrXXX account that is used for iis is not created on the remote machine and/or the password is different - the iusr account must be identical. Could you provide more information as to the design of the layout of this configuration - such as where does the access database and iis reside - what is the os used for these machines and what version of iis/access are you using ? Please refer to the following ms articles:

MS Article

ms article 2

Let me know if you still have problems.

Good luck.

We have a Windows NT 4.0 server running IIS (I believe) 4.0 The page accessing the database is on the company intranet located in the InetPub directory on the server. The Access 2000 format database is located on a network drive on the same server. I am doing all my work on a client machine running XP. If it helps, I am not using ASP, but instead have a Perl CGI script to handle a request form. I am trying to use either the Win32::ODBC or DBD::ODBC modules to write to the database.

Thanks for any assistance.

We have a Windows NT 4.0 server running IIS (I believe) 4.0 The page accessing the database is on the company intranet located in the InetPub directory on the server. The Access 2000 format database is located on a network drive on the same server. I am doing all my work on a client machine running XP. If it helps, I am not using ASP, but instead have a Perl CGI script to handle a request form. I am trying to use either the Win32::ODBC or DBD::ODBC modules to write to the database.

Thanks for any assistance.

So the access database resides on the server. The only difference is that if you move the mdb to the c-drive, it works. Any other drive on the server, it fails. How are you referencing the DSN in your code ? How is iis configured - anonymous/challenge response - and if anonymous, what is the login used ? How are you referencing the network drive - like \\servername\... or e:\ ?

In my code, I am calling:

$db = new Win32::ODBC('DSN Name');

In IIS, Anonymous Access is set up as IUSR_MACHINE;

When setting up the System DSN for ODBC, I reference the network drive as H:

Is any other information that might help you out?

What are the settings for your DSN ? Try the following: Replace the iusr account with the administrator account - once tested set the anonymous account with the iusr account. Let me know if that works.

Forgive me for a silly question. Where should I replace the IUSR account with the Administrator account? And what do you mean by DSN settings: 5 min. timeout, Access Driver?

Go to the internet service manager -> directory security -> click edit under anonymous access -> click edit under anonymous access. Yes, for the DSN settings - location of db, access driver, login, password ... Another question, does your access db need a login/password ?

When I changed the anonymous user to administrator, I was able to connect just fine. I don't understand why that is however.

I changed the IUSR_MACHINE password because I didn't know what the old one was. Then, I changed the anonymous user for the intranet site back to IUSR_MACHINE, and I am not getting the connection error anymore. It still doesn't write to the database, but I think that is a bug in my SQL.

If you can give me any insight into why I was having those problems and why they went away, I am very interested. Regardless, thanks for all your help. I hope I can return the favor someday.

Greg

When dealing with iis, file permissions can be a problem - so if I have a problem like this, I like to test an administrator account first - this eliminates the question regarding permissions issues as well as account/password issues with that user account. As far as changing the password for iusr_machine, this can lead to some problems - was the "allow iis to control password" checked before you added the administrator account to anonymous ? Also, did you stop and restart iis each time you changed the account ? I have seen syncing problems between iis and nt, so it is possible that by resetting the password for iusr fixed the problem.

Let me know if the problem still persists.

Good luck.