Unanswered: 2-tier web-based database using db2

I need to create a 2-tier web-based database using db2. However, although I know how to create the database and how to connect to it using java on a standalone machine I can't seem to work out how to make the database web-based and connect to it. I know that for what I am doing that WebSphere is not suitable as that is for far larger-scale developments - I have been advised that I need to look into 2-tier. This is where I get completely stuck as nothing seems to be falling into place! I also know that I'll have to write the website using dynamic HTML.

As you can probably tell, I have various bits of basic understanding but I am unable to link anything up. I'd be extremely grateful if anybody could offer me any guidance or tips to help me get started so I at least know what software and skills I'm going to need!!

Many thanks in advance from a very confused Spike !

Re: 2-tier web-based database using db2

One option I can think of for 2-tier is to use an applet calling db2 using a JDBC net driver.

Have a look at the sample files DB2Applt.java and DB2Applt.html in the sqllib/samples directory .

Do keep the group posted on how you are getting on ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by Spike
    I need to create a 2-tier web-based database using db2. However, although I know how to create the database and how to connect to it using java on a standalone machine I can't seem to work out how to make the database web-based and connect to it. I know that for what I am doing that WebSphere is not suitable as that is for far larger-scale developments - I have been advised that I need to look into 2-tier. This is where I get completely stuck as nothing seems to be falling into place! I also know that I'll have to write the website using dynamic HTML.

As you can probably tell, I have various bits of basic understanding but I am unable to link anything up. I'd be extremely grateful if anybody could offer me any guidance or tips to help me get started so I at least know what software and skills I'm going to need!!

Many thanks in advance from a very confused Spike !

Thanks Sathyaram. I've managed to download and print off a couple of the rather large DB2 manuals so I'm going to work my way through them and also take a look at the examples you suggested.

Cheers

Spike

Spike
    There is a freely downloadable version of a set of code in the name of dbbrowse (search in google) (i believe it is from litteral software). With your database on a server, all you have to do is to change a few configuration settings in the code and you are all ready to host it on a web, for a 2 tier web based db access
    Hope this helps
    C.Gajendran