Unanswered: Form Problem and Recommended Book

Greetings,

I am developing a database application using Access (which I have never done before). I have created a set of tables with a many to many relationship through a junction table. Now, I would like to populate that junction table using a form as opposed to typing in coded information for a week. However, I cannot seem to find a good tutorial for what I want to do.

Basically, there are tables named Faculty, Class, and FacultyClassJunction. They are joined through FacultyID and ClassID. How can I create a form that uses the Faculty Table as a basis and then has a list of Expertises for each record in Faculty that are changeable via a combo box containing all the Expertises from the Expertise Table?

And, if this is too simple a question to waste your time on , can someone recommend a decent book that is written for competent programmers which focuses on using Access (something like a manual for access with development examples).

Thx,

~AbM

Basically, there are tables named Faculty, Class, and FacultyClassJunction. They are joined through FacultyID and ClassID. How can I create a form that uses the Faculty Table as a basis and then has a list of Expertises for each record in Faculty that are changeable via a combo box containing all the Expertises from the Expertise Table?

Sorry, What Expertise table?

I assume you mean a list of faculty with classes taught at the faculty.

This is a classic subform arrangment. If you are using Access 2000 or 2002 this may autogenerate for you. Try clicking the autoform button on each table and see what forms you get.

I've got the forms generated, but for some reason, Access refuses to allow records to be updated in the subform. Help says they are probably locked, but they are not.

Also, when I said Expertise, I meant Class; I have about a half dozen many-to-many relationships going on in this thing and I am desperately trying to avoid inserting all the data by hand.

Thx,

~AbM

Create a class form first. We will call this fsubClass. This form will include the combo box you mention. For clarity set the form to datasheet view. Test it and make sure it is working properly.

We will then create a faculty form we will call this frmFaculty. Again test this and ensure it is working fine.

With frmFaculty open in design view, click and drag fsubClass onto an empty space in frmFaculty.

Open frm faculty in normal view and see if the fsubClass has populated. If it has not then go back to design view and select fsubClass, choose properties, choose Data choose ChildLink.

In childlink choose facultyID from both sides. Close and return to user view.

You should now be able to enter new data and see existing data.

If you cannot enter new data it could be because you are missing a linking field in fsubClass.

HTH

Eureka!

Thanks tiger, apparently I missed the linking field the first time around.

~AbM

Lightbulb Recommended Reading

I've found Alison Balter's Mastering Access 2002 Desktop Development very helpful - a lot of examples, a CD w/ sample code, and pretty thorough explanations.

My colleague uses the Sybex VB Developer's Handbook, but he borrows my book throughout the day...

I'd recommend going through Amazon - I'd have saved about $15 --

HTH
    Zsoka

Thanks for the input! I'll check it out...

~AbM