Angry Unanswered: log shipping - delayed write failed

Need some help with this

About a year ago we started using SQL 2000 and set the system up with log shipping to a standy server. At that time the databases were small (500MB), now they are about 3GB. As we had to go back to backup we had to setup log shipping again and encountered the following problem:

Log shipping for the database is setup and we select to create a new backup as initial database state. As we Finish the database backup proces is starting. In de shared directory we can see the backup growing and at some point (1.5GB) we encouter an error:

Windows - Delayed Write Fail (Windows was unable to save all the data for the file |Device\LanmanRdirector\Srv-acc-05\transaction\200_logshpping_init.bak. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

When we click OK the following error message appears:

Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState:42000)
    Error 3202: Write on \\Srv-acc-05\transaction\200_logshipping_init.bak failes, status 64, See the SQL Server error log for more details. BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

When looking at the events:
    18210 :
    BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device '\\Srv-acc-05\transaction\200_logshipping_init.bak'. Operating system error 64(The specified network name is no longer available.).

followed by:
    3041 :
    BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [200] TO DISK = N'\\Srv-acc-05\transaction\200_logshipping_init.bak' WITH INIT , NOUNLOAD , NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT

folowed by:
    18210 :
    BackupDiskFile::RequestDurableMedia: failure on backup device '\\Srv-acc-05\transaction\200_logshipping_init.bak'. Operating system error 64(The specified network name is no longer available.).

As I have to select a share to be able to copy to the standby server, I canot select a non-share location. When I do not share the directory \logship\transaction as transaction I can backup the database to the location: so nothings wrong with my hardware. Looks like time-out problems?

As a workaround I used the option to use the last backup as initial backup, this backup gets also copied to the share and that works fine. The standby server has however to copy and restore a nuber of transaction log files to get in sync and that takes some time!

Currently using W2000 SP2 SQL 20000 Adv s SP1 (cannot do SP2 yet).

The problem might be with the Network Redirector Caching being enabled.

See the following ms article (in the article there are a couple of solutions including a link to disable network redirector caching:

MS Article

I read the information. When setting up log shipping the destination directory on the primary server is added.

I changed that from the share \\servername\sharename to D:\logship\directory and finished configuration. What happens now is that the backup is created on the D:\logship\transaction directory with no problem at all! The next process however is for the secundairy server to copy the backup from the share (which I did not specify as a share but a real directory). The setup process halts because the backup file cannot be found. There's no way to specify directory for the backup process and share for the copy process individualy. As a result the log shipping setup process halts with error.

To disable caching I looked in the registry. I am using WIndows 2000 Professionaly SP2. There is no registry key UseWriteBehind, UtilizeNTCaching or Rdr under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrectControlSet\Servic es.

Please advice,
    Broos

Changing only parameter UtilizeNTCaching from 1 to 0 does not solve the problem in WIndows2000/SQL2000.

Do you receive an error in the event log with the same description as your first error message - "Delayed write failed" ? Do you have an event with an ID of 50 ?

I already had UtilizeNTCaching parameter rest to 0 (had read earlier issue about that). I get the following sequential errors in the eventlog all are about error 64!

EventID 17055:
    18210 :
    BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device '\\Srv-acc-05\transaction\200_logshipping_init.bak'. Operating system error 64(The specified network name is no longer available.).

3041 :
    BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [200] TO DISK = N'\\Srv-acc-05\transaction\200_logshipping_init.bak' WITH INIT , NOUNLOAD , NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT

18210 :
    BackupSoftFile::WriteMediaFileMark: failure on backup device '\\Srv-acc-05\transaction\200_logshipping_init.bak'. Operating system error 64(The specified network name is no longer available.).

18210 :
    BackupDiskFile::RequestDurableMedia: failure on backup device '\\Srv-acc-05\transaction\200_logshipping_init.bak'. Operating system error 64(The specified network name is no longer available.).

I have two sets of servers in production and test environment, with the databases (001, 200 and 500 which are about 2-3 GB) in both environments I get the same errors. So it's reproducable with a large enough database. The solution where to backup to disk directly does not work because the maintenance plan wizards needs the backup location also for accessing the backup file from the secundary server.

Surely anyone using log shipping with large enough database encounter these problems when setting up log shipping! I have a zipped backup file available of about 250MB.

This may not apply - but apparently there is a problem that can only be fixed by a special patch from microsoft - but you must contact them. See the following article:

ms article

The description is not exactly the same as your situation but very close. I would contact ms referencing this article and describe your situation. There is a high potential that when you call, this fix may cover your situation.

Good luck.