Unhappy Unanswered: SQL Server 7.0 Publisher/Distributor to SQL Server 2000 Subscriber

Not working

when i try sql server 2000 as pull subscriber, i cannot find the publisher in sql server 7

SQL Server 7.0 Publisher/Distributor to SQL Server 2000 Subscriber

Regards

I did SQL 7 to SQL 2K replication and is working fine, it was a painful job for me , you can ask any questions about that I am glad to answer.

How did you register your SQL 7 server ?
    Remeber , do not use SQL 7 enterprise manager to setup replication ( that was the first mistake I did) .

Using SQL 2k Enterprise manager register SQL 7 server and setup replication on both machine. Make sure your SQL 7 sever is enabled for subscription.

Try this , it should work.

Re: SQL Server 7.0 Publisher/Distributor to SQL Server 2000 Subscriber

Have you checked if your server(s) are properly declared in the MDAC?
    Their alliases should be listed in the Client Network Utility found in the SQL program utilities in your start menu.
    Dont use IP numbers if u can and try to keep names short and without underscores etc.

Greetings, VincentJS

Originally posted by mice
    Not working

when i try sql server 2000 as pull subscriber, i cannot find the publisher in sql server 7

SQL Server 7.0 Publisher/Distributor to SQL Server 2000 Subscriber

Regards

Error on running merge replication , help

When i run synchronized
    ive got this steps then error occurs in the pull subscriber

Connecting to Subscriber 'SUBSNAME'

Connecting to Distributor '215.22.21.22'

Category:AGENT
    Source: 215.22.21.22
    Number:
    Message: The process could not connect to Distributor '215.22.21.22'.

CategoryQLSERVER
    Source: 215.22.21.22
    Number: 18456

Can someone know this error, how to troubleshoot this, im using merge replication through internet.

Thanks,

Re: Error on running merge replication , help

Hi again

We never use Pull subscription as a rule but normally spoken that shouldn't present a problem. What needs to be done is to check with the program "Client Network Utility" (in the tools of mssql7) on your Server which is configured as Distributor (and generally as your publisher) if the other machine is known under a "regular" name.

What i mean by "regular" is something like "REMPCSUBS1" for example.
    In tne C.N.U. you open up the tab Alias and there you can configure a specific Alias for a pull subscriber in your case something like:

Alias: REMPCSUB1
    Server name: 212.223.34.123 (This is only an example)
    Use dynamic port
    Select TCP/IP protocol

Sometimes it helps to switch places between IPnumber and alias (e.g. servername REMPCSUB1, alias 212.223.34.123) I never figured out completely why that's the case, i suppose it's a typical "microsoft quirk".

Give the Distributor about 5 minutes "rest" and then try to configure the other machine as a Pull subscriber from the Distributor.

Normally this should work -)

Good luck!
    VincentJS
    www.gent.be

Re: Re: Error on running merge replication , help

I forgot something...

You HAVE to make sure you use the right username/password combinations for the distributor, the publisher and the subscriber.

As a test i suggest you use as much as possible the SAME name/password first, on all machines and processess, giving it as much rights as possible. Once you got everything working, "tune down" the rights given until it still works but is safe to use in a daily environment.

Don't forget that the replication agent needs to be started up under a Domain user name which has administrator rights !! on the distributor / publisher. This is important, for at certain steps , while configuring replication, you might have to "impersonate" this domain user.

It's a detail but an important one.

Well that's it for now, sucses
    VincentJS