Red face Unanswered: report sometimes hangs...

A97 report sometimes hangs on some selected records:

Report prompts for a customer number and works fine for most; but hangs on a couple and eventually have to ctrl-break to terminate. The data source is a query which if I run stand-alone for problem customers runs fine! I put msgboxes on all events of the report and seems to hang before the "On Page" event (don't get that msgbox when running for problem customer numbers.)

Any ideas?

Red face more info...

Okay, found out that the culprit was a "memo" field on the report which has the "Can Grow" property set to "Yes". If I remove this field or set the "Can Grow" property to "No" then the report works for all customers but of course I don't get all the data in the memo field (which kind of defeats the purpose of the field.) I tried setting "Can Shrink" to both Yes and No but that did not help. Could there be bad data in one of the records on the memo field?

Sounds wierd,
    are you using Access as the backend database or just for your frontend/reports? Access has some problems with very large memo fields (>32k) on ODBC connections (or was it in ADPs?). Just a thought...

Talking found solution

thanks for the reply...

...found that the Memo field was so big that it was larger than a printed page... the detail section "Force New Page" was set to "none" so that apparently the page could never be constructed by Access ('cause it didn't all fit due to the Memo field) and kept trying ad infinitum. I changed this to "After Section" and all works great.

I kind of have the same problem,
    I use an ADP front end and a SQL Server backend.
    I have a report which is based on a Stored Procedure, it has memo fields and the Can Grow Property is set to yes, but I don't think that is the problem.

The report works fine in our main office. But when the users run it in one of the remote offices (which has slower connection) Access Xp hangs and the user has to reboot the machine.

I thought the problem might be:
    . The users machine is slow
    . The user has windows 98 and that might not be compatible with Access XP
    . The connection is not good enough for memo fields

have you had a similar problems with ADP Projects in Access XP?

Originally posted by Apel
    Sounds wierd,
    are you using Access as the backend database or just for your frontend/reports? Access has some problems with very large memo fields (>32k) on ODBC connections (or was it in ADPs?). Just a thought...

No, I am not using ADPs myself. But I read about problems some time ago. I couldn't find the Knowlege Base article anymore, but it were some problems with data being corrupted I think. Maybe there are more bugs around this as MS apparently doesn't test very well with large memos/BLOBs.