Unanswered: MSDE, creating a user login

Hi dear reader,
    I have a problem with the MSDE. I can not create a login for an other user. It is possible to contact MSDE via ACCESS 2000 in the network under my account (I installed MSDE on an other computer also under my account). When I try to administer the MSDE with the help of a little tool which is using SQL-DMO, I receive the answer 'Invalid procedure call or argument' to any system stored procedure. Do you have an idea what is wrong there.

Some additional and helpful information for you:
    - The tool is running on the same PC (Windows 2000) as MSDE
    - I am logged in as 'sa' without password
    - E.g. a statement which fails: EXEC sp_grantlogin '<domain>\<user>'
    - If I do not enter the correct names, the server answers with the proper error message.
    - It must be MSDE 1.0 (see the header of the error log below)
    >> 2002-07-05 13:27:55.70 kernel Microsoft SQL Server 7.00 - 7.00.623 (Intel X86)
    >> Nov 27 1998 22:20:07
    >> Copyright (c) 1988-1998 Microsoft Corporation
    >> MSDE on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 2)

I would appreciate any help to this matter. Many thanks in advance.

Yes it is possible..

You can do it either thru Windows Authentication or thru Sql Server authetication.

If you are running any Sql Server EM then you need to register the MSDE server on the EM using the NT authetication mode and once you are connected then I would suggest that you change the authetication mode of the MSDE to mixed Authetication mode as MSDE always defaults to NT authetication mode when you install it(This can also be acheived by opening the SQL.INI file in the installation package and coding SECURITYMODE=SQL and this will change the authetication mode to mixed one and then it will be easier for you to monitor it with even 'sa' username with Blan password).

Also once you change the authetication mode then you can run any batch script to create the user on the MSDE server itself.It has to be coded like: "osql /U sa /P /S(local)---------------"

For an easier administration of the MSDE you can buy "SQL Server Resource KIT" which supplies some tool for monitoring..

Hope it helps

Re: Yes it is possible..

Thanks a lot. It worked in that way.

Sorry for answering so late.