Unanswered: TNS Server - Distributing TNSNAMES.ORA

I am looking at improved methods for updating TNSNAMES.ORA on machines within our organisation (multiple Office locations around the world).

Some-one once mentioned a TNS Server which performs in a similar manner to a DNS Server (except for TNSNAMES.ORA instead of HOSTS). However, I cannot find any information about TNS Servers. Can some-one please point me in the right direction or provide some insight into TNSNAMES.ORA distribution strategies which they have used.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ian

In Oracle version 8 this is called Oracle Names.
    In Oracle version 8i and 9 this is called Oracle Internet Directory.

With this you can have a server which has all the connect information for your databases, just like a DNS server.
    Ruud Schilders
    -----------------
    Oracle DBA
    e-mail : ruud@schilders.it
    URL : www.schilders.it
    Twitter : www.twitter.com/ruudschilders

Fault Tolerance of Oracle Internet Directory

Ruud

Thanks for that information.

I wondered what forms of fault tolerance / redundancy the Oracle Internet Directory has available. Obviously if the Oracle Internet Directory goes down, then users would be unable to access their Oracle applications.

For example, is there some form of "replication" so that the TNSNAMES information can be held in multiple Offices connected via our WAN lines. Can PCs be configured for "fall over" i.e if the main Oracle Internet Directory is unavailable then go to a secondary Oracle Internet Directory.

Can any of this location information about the Oracle Internet Directory be provided to the Win NT / 2000 client PCs by a DHCP Server?

regards
    Ian

Hi,

I use Oracle Names. I think it works kind of the same as OID.

With Oracle names you can have more than 1 Names Server. So if 1 can't be reached, it can connect to the other.

Ruud
    Ruud Schilders
    -----------------
    Oracle DBA
    e-mail : ruud@schilders.it
    URL : www.schilders.it
    Twitter : www.twitter.com/ruudschilders