Question Unanswered: Subordinate combo boxes

I am trying to create a database to log system events like upgrades, patches, error mesages, and lock ups.

Is there any way I can make a combo box with a list dependent on a value i select for another combo box on the same form?

example 1:
    combo box1 [User]
    combo box2 [Error Msg | Upgrade | Lock up]

example 2:
    combo box1 [System]
    combo box2 [Upgrade | Patch]

The problem I am having is since values are not instantly written to the tabel when I select the value for the first combo box, the second box has nothing populated. Is there any way to do this without putting the 2 boxes on different forms?

Hey nrage,

You sure can. Just create a query in your first combo box that pulls your initial data. Then reference your second combo boxes query off the first combo box.

combobox1:

SELECT Name FROM NameTable;

combobox2:

SELECT Address FROM NameTable WHERE Name = Forms!FormName!ComboBox1;

Then with VB under the On Click Event of the second combo box place a command like:

Private Sub ComboBox2()
    DoCmd.Requery "ComboBox2"
    End Sub

You will have to make the appropriate changes to suit your application but let me know if you need help.

Kal

Thumbs up

thanx kal. Worked like a charm!

Question

I have another question about the same problem.

Now I want to do a similar thing with check boxes. But check boxes do not have the Row Source feature a Drop Down has.

I want to make a Notification feature to my errors db.
    There is a Resolved Check Box. It is defaulted to False
    There is a Notification Check Box. It is resolved to True

when Resolved is set to True, I need Notification to be set to False.

Help please.
    I think i need to do this:
    IIf([Forms]![Incident_Master]![Resolved]=True,[Forms]![Incident_Master]![Notification]=False,[Forms]![Incident_Master]![Notification]=True)

but i dont know where. help.

Hey rage,

Are you still working on a form with Check Box fields?

Kal

Yeah, do you need a snapshot of the form?
    Its very simple what I am trying to accomplish but I am unsure where i put the behaviour.

On my Master form (I see my first typo now, but that is only in the previous post) There are the 2 check boxes Notification and Resolved. I just need the value of Notification to be dependent on the Value of resolved (easy) when the user clicks on resolved (i am clueless).

I got the combo boxes to work. Oh btw, I added a requery to the Activate of the form for the combo box, for it was giving me some weird behaviour when I scrooled thru the records.

thanx.