Unanswered: search/replace in design mode

When designing complex reports or forms, it sure would be nice to search and replace portions of the control names or control source.

for example one control might have a control source of
    =DCount("[EconStat]","tblEfficacy","([TimePeriod] = 0) AND ([EconStat]=255)")
    and there are another 100 controls that differ just slightly in name or source. What if I wanted to change just table-name portion of the control source for all these controls? Wouldn't it be nice to search and replace?

I am writing code to loop through all controls and check the control source for a string I will pass and change any occurence to another string I will pass... unless anyone has a better idea.

Last edited by jpshay; 07-11-02 at 11:54.
    John
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Hi,

Invest some money into MS Access and buy Speed Ferret.
    It has a lot of nice features including "find and teplace".

http://www.moshannon.com

Igor

Cool Program. As grandpa used to say, "If I had that, and he had a feather in his pants, we'd both be tickled." However, if they just gave me a chunk of the source code, I'd be satisfied. I can't justify the $200 yet.

Thanks for the lead though.
    John

How many hours of your work you think coding and debugging may take? 10 ? 20? Even if your rate is super low as $20 it estimates between $200 and $400.

Igor

Good questions for me to consider. Regarding my attempt to reproduce the Speed Ferret product you referred me to, I think that I would only make something that would address my most onerous tasks - report design. Thus the scope of my effort would be limited.

I did take time to look at the features of the tool you suggested. It looks good. The price is a serious consideration though. I have 4 PCs I would want to install it on, because I work at 4 different places.

Just to let you know that your advice didn't go unheeded, I did investigate it online and sent an email and left a voice mail at the company (1.814.345.5657). Thanks for the lead.

Last edited by jpshay; 07-12-02 at 11:19.
    John