Unhappy Unanswered: Access Networking Problems

I have developed an Access 97 database application with the intention of using it in a multi-user environment. It contains a reasonable number of objects, a significant amount of VB code that runs behind various queries and forms, and a reasonable number of records in some tables (up to about 20,000 records).

The database is split with a back-end data file on one computer and front-end structures files on each computer that requires access with links to the data file.

While the database works perfectly when used on the computer that has both the data file and a structures file on it, whenever the network is used illogical messages pop up.

An example of this occurs regularly when a computer on the network tries to press a button to open up a form. Access sometimes claims that the person is trying to paste too much data and thus try to paste less data. After pressing OK to a few weird messages, the relevant form eventually pops up. While problems occur with respect to most tables, they most often occur with respect to the table which has the largest number of records.

The network itself is unlikely to be a problem as it performs all other operations successfully.

Any suggestions about how I might make this database more smooth?

hmm, sounds like everything is set up ok.

Sufficent resources (memory / hd space) on the PC that has the problems?
    Are you storing the back-end on a network file server or on a workstation?
    Necessary permissions on the folder housing the back-end?
    No restrictive locking set on the form in the front-end
    Perhaps complile the front-end to an MDE?

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Perhaps you could post some of the errors?

Also, if there's any chance of upgrading to 2000 or 2002 then that may help a little.

You may also be a candidate for an Access Data Project (ADP).

HTH,
    Andrew
    There have been many posts made throughout the world.
    This was one of them.

* Memory and HD space OK.
    * Back-end is on a workstation only because copying the data file onto the network file server has resulted in data corruptions.
    * No restrictive locking set on the form on the front-end
    * Did compile front end to MDE at one stage - While I can't really remember, I don't think this made any changes to stability - I'll try it again
    * Have upgraded to Access 2000 - This is less, not more, stable
    * Where can I find more info about an "Access Data Project"?

Originally posted by Bunce
    hmm, sounds like everything is set up ok.

Sufficent resources (memory / hd space) on the PC that has the problems?
    Are you storing the back-end on a network file server or on a workstation?
    Necessary permissions on the folder housing the back-end?
    No restrictive locking set on the form in the front-end
    Perhaps complile the front-end to an MDE?

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Perhaps you could post some of the errors?

Also, if there's any chance of upgrading to 2000 or 2002 then that may help a little.

You may also be a candidate for an Access Data Project (ADP).

HTH,
    Andrew

A2K is far better for multi-user support than 97. I realise there may be issues with actually *upgrading* a database created in 97 (especially if you have a large amount of code), however I've found 2K much better in pretty much all areas.

When you say that you received data corruptions on the file server, what do you mean? I would think that accessing a back-end on a workstation would be prone to more errors purely because access times would be slower.

Anyway, try running a number of instances of the front-end on the workstation that houses the back-end, and see if these errors occur. If so then we can assume it's not a network issue.

Assuming you've checked that the other workstations have the necessary permissions to access the back-end machine.

Access Data Projects might not be available in 97. I'll check that. They are ideal to handle multi-user access and are able to link natively to a SQL Server DB or MSDE engine.

Perhaps you could post some of the errors you are receiving?

Cheers,
    Andrew
    There have been many posts made throughout the world.
    This was one of them.