Question Unanswered: hostprocess - a newbie quiestion

Hi all!

I hope I am not irritating anybody in this forum, since my question is pretty newbieish. But, I haven't been able to find my answer anywhere, neither on the net nor here.

So here I go:

Some spid's are creating a large amount of load on my server, but since the user is generic, I can not track him/her down. However, when I locate the hostprocess and try to find it on the machine, the output is empty!

Here is what i do:

1> select spid, hostprocess from sysprocesses where spid = 79
    2> go
    spid hostprocess
    ----- --------------
    79 4084
    (1 row affected)
    1>exit
    server% ps -ef | grep 4084 | grep -v grep
    server%

When I go back into isql, the spid is still there!

Really hope someone can help me :-)

BTW, I am running Sybase ASE 11.9 on a Solaris 7

-Eirik

The reason why you probably aren't seeing the process is when you do a `ps -ef | grep <pid>` is because it is probably an open client/jconnect connection from another machine other than that of your host server machine.
    Mark Sheehan,
    Senior Sybase DBA

Open Client

Hmmm.. You are probably right.

Any ideas on how you can track down a generic user who are using an open client connection?

Thanks in advance!

-Eirik

If you do the following on ASE host machine:

netstat -a | more

you will see all remote connections to your ASE host machine. Look at the remote connections connected to the sybase port(normally 4100 by default) and this will tell you where your connections are coming from.

I would recommend not having generic logins for individual users, it makes it a lot harder to audit users.

Regards,
    Mark Sheehan,
    Senior Sybase DBA

Hi Mark,

and thanks!

If you (or anyone else) could tell me how to connect the SQL output (look above) or any other query to the netstat output you would make us very happy.

IAT

-Eirik

Cool

You can't connect SQL output to netstat. This will just tell you what connections are being made to your sybase port from other machines. It is your job then to figure out the users, I guess based on the remote addresses..! Good luck!
    Mark Sheehan,
    Senior Sybase DBA

OK!

Thanks!

(I my next life though, I will be a DBA from Hell, and reject any suggestions to create a generic user)

1 "Generic" users are substandard, not auditable (either in the Sybase or in the IT Auditor or in the Security sense. Most organisations do not allow it. Use proxies instead, which are fully auditable.
    2 You can bind the netstat to the sp_who but that will take a bit of scripting work.
    3 You need to ensure that each client system is named (eg. SMITHJ_PC) and your client apps load this in the connect string as all good apps should do (see sysprocesses).
    4 With 12.x you can get the IP address.
    Derek Asirvadem
    Senior Sybase DBA/Information Architect derekATsoftwaregemsDOTcomDOTau
    Anything worth doing is worth doing Right The First Time
    Spend your money on standards-compliant development or spend 10 times more fixing it