Unhappy Unanswered: "Not Responding"

I develop Access databases for Health Agencies. Occassionally when users launch one of the custom MS Access databases, the server does not respond (if you check the Task Manager you will see that both MS Access and the Form you are tying to open are "not responding". After several minutes (2 min - 20 minutes), the server responds and the application finally starts. What happens when an Access database is "not responding". If have seen this message on Access 95, 97, 2000, and XP?
    Terry

If an application is listed as not responding in the task manager it just means it does not process it's message queue currently.
    Many times this is a sign for an application running in an endless loop.

In this case it seems like Microsoft just didn't implement the waiting loop multithreaded or added extra calls to GetMessage.

This isn't really a problem unless you want to cancel the operation performed. You can only forcefully shut down the application in that case as the application won't process the WM_QUIT message as well.

Yes this is common

Under NT open the task manager
    In the applications tab right click on the application that isnt responding
    select go to process
    right click on the appropriate process and select "Change Priority" - High

This won't stop the "not Responding" message but it will speed your process up considerably - giving MS Access greater access to the system resources - in my experience selecting "Real Time" crashes the PC more often than not, but I have never had problems with the "High" setting

On a not entirely unrelated note does anyone know of an API call which can do the above as I do this manually for almosty every database process I automate and run.

-Aav

http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0059.htm

for all your priority changing needs