Thread: -952 Error

Unhappy Unanswered: -952 Error

I am having a problem connecting through ODBC to a Informix SE 7.2 engine. I am getting the following error.
    "[Informix][ODBC Driver][Informix] user "%S" password is not correct for the database server." - on the ODBC side.
    "Daemon err=-952: users password is not correct for the database server." - on the database side.
    The server is a linux box based on redhat 6.2. and I have never connected to this server before via ODBC.

Any help would be apreciated.

Which user id are you using ? How long is the password ? Can you access Informix if you login into linux directly using dbaccess / onstat commands ? Also, look at your release notes. Which version of informix are you running - include uc version ?
    Last edited by rnealejr; 07-22-02 at 23:45.

I am using the informix user id. and the password is 6 charaters long.
    when logged on locally I have no problem accessing the database with dbaccess. And I am running Informix-SE 7.24 UC5.

thanks for helping.

I believe this is a known bug with uc5 and the fix is in uc8 - I will let you know what I am able to find out.

Yes, I was correct. You need to upgrade to uc8. Good luck.

Thank'sfor the info.
    As a temporary solution will seting the system to not use shadow passwords work?
    Maybe having the full answer here will help someone else.

The 952 error can be caused by many issues - one of which is the passwords being shadowed - however, I would never recommend unshadowing your passwords because it is such a serious security threat. If you proceed, let me know if it fixes your problem - if not, there might be other solutions - but I strongly urge you not to monkey with the shadowing. I would give you examples of MAYBE when this would be ok but you would have to check (now and constantly monitor) several exploits that this would enable and make sure that your box is locked down.

I have unshadowed the passwords and it allows me to test the odbc connection, and see the table names in access 2000. However when I try to link to any of these tables I am getting :
    Reserved error (-7711) There is no message for this error.

I intend to change the version of informix we are on to allow shadow passwords again.

The -7711 message is from my laptop ( must be setup wrong).
    I have the problem solved.
    Thank you for your help!

Be aware if you upgrade to 7.25.UC1. You MUST have password shadowing enabled.
    They tried to fix the bug...
    rws

Re: -952 Error

hi,
    i read this post just now. I got the same problem with informix 7.24 UC5.
    But even worse, i could not even login with dbaccess. So is there any way i can solve it without upgrate UC5 to UC8?

Thanks.

Originally posted by pklucas
    I am having a problem connecting through ODBC to a Informix SE 7.2 engine. I am getting the following error.
    "[Informix][ODBC Driver][Informix] user "%S" password is not correct for the database server." - on the ODBC side.
    "Daemon err=-952: users password is not correct for the database server." - on the database side.
    The server is a linux box based on redhat 6.2. and I have never connected to this server before via ODBC.

Any help would be apreciated.