Unhappy Unanswered: Paradox with Delphi on a LAN?

Hi:

I'm new to Delphi and Paradox. I usually work with Linux, Perl and PostgreSQL, but now I HAVE TO code a Windows app.

I choose Delphi, but I don't know if I can use Paradox as my database because I don't find how to tell Delphi that the db is in a remote server.

Should I use MS-Access?
    At the end I'll use PostgreSQL on a Linux box, but now I have to deal with the Windows LAN.

TIA

Roberto Andrade Fonseca

Thumbs up Yes

Yes, you can use Paradox table with Delphi. You'll use the Borland Database Engine (BDE) to connect to them. Borland has deprecated the BDE so I don't really recommend this solution. You might want to look at ADS, MS SQL or Interbase.

Could you please post some links to pages talking of ADS?

(Hi Mike! You're the same Mike Prestwood that is on paradoxcommunity.com, sure? I'm another Paradox Folk, Manuele Grueff! )
    The only failure is not trying to do it.

To tell Delphi where the database is remote or local all you need to do is create and alias (Alias Manager) and input the location of the paradox tables you wish to access. It is very straight forward and is a native task in Delphi. I do it everyday. Quick, easy. You will need to specify a shared directory for the netdir path if you will have multiple users accessing the database. That will be done in the alias manager of Delphi as well. It needs that information so that record locks can be maintained based upon which user is doing what on which record at any given time.

Re: Paradox with Delphi on a LAN?

I choose Delphi, but I don't know if I can use Paradox as my database because I don't find how to tell Delphi that the db is in a remote server.

Should I use MS-Access?
    At the end I'll use PostgreSQL on a Linux box, but now I have to deal with the Windows LAN.

web hosting