Unhappy Unanswered: How can I move one record from one file to another in FileMaker

How can I move one record from one database file to another data base file.? It's posible..?

You should be able to run a script in database A which will export the record to a text file and then run a script in database B to import the text file.

YOU CAN DO IT DIRECTLY FROM ONE-FM FILER TO ANOTHER - EXPORT OR OTHER METHOD

Originally posted by FlaggyBonzo
    You should be able to run a script in database A which will export the record to a text file and then run a script in database B to import the text file.
    This is possible but you can make it much easier!
    \\--------

Gilabert,

You can Have a Portal in the origin file that is supported by a relation that Allows record creation but does not allow deletion of related records (no cascading delete please - or you'll loose all your records in the destination file!!)!

\\-----------
    And have a script called MoveRecord:

Go to Layout [where the portal is]
    Go to Portal Row[First]
    Set Field[relation::relatedfield1, Field1FromOrigin]
    Set Field[relation::relatedfield2, Field2FromOrigin]
    Set Field[relation::relatedfield3, Field3FromOrigin]
    Delete record/Request[perform without dialog]

\\-----------

For this to Work you must base the relationship on the primary key. And you must absolutely NOT HAVE any records on the Destiny File that match the current record or the First Matching Record will be overwritten.

This is much better than exporting records if you are doing this for an occasional record. Other advantages are that it does not matter if other people are using any of the files. On the other hand if you want to move big batches of records Export Records Script step is more efficient and YOU CAN DO IT DIRECTLY FROM ONE-FM FILER TO ANOTHER.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Bergson; 12-19-02 at 17:32.

Re: How can I move one record from one file to another in FileMaker

Originally posted by Gilabert
    How can I move one record from one database file to another data base file.? It's posible..?
    I'm not sure if I'm paraphrasing the other respondents, but, anyway...

To copy a single record from one Database (DataBase A) to another DataBase (DataBase B), when both are FileMaker Databases is quite easy (and can work for multiple records simultaneously)

Create a Script in DataBase B, which IMPORTS DataBase A (of course mapping the import order, etc. so that it matches the format of DataBase B)

You can then Create a Script in DataBase A which calls the Script in DataBase B - AFTER it has performed a Search to Find only those records which you want transferred. (If you perform the Import with DataBase A showing All Records, they will ALL be duplicated in DataBase B).

Play around with it - it's easier to do than to explain...

Luke