Question Unanswered: Log backup on NT

Hi everyone:

I've been using IDS 7.31 on an NT 4 SP6 system that has only one tape drive where we do our backups with ontape -s , my LTAPEDEV parameter is set to NUL (my databases are not logged) in order to keep a continuos backup of logs. Of course the logs are lost, this is not problem except on the very rare situations (2 times in 4 years) when I've neeeded to restore a single database. The problem is that since I dont have the logs backed up I must restore the whole sytem (about 6 databases) causing problems with the users of the databases that are working properly.

My question is: Is there some way to backup the Logs on a disk (we have plenty of space) so I can make a single dbspace restore from ontape? or which other backup strategy can we use to accomplish that.

Thanks in advance

Eduardo Martinez
    Chief of Information Systems

Hi,
    it is possible to save logical logs on disk,
    for example LTAPEDEV e:\ifmxbkup\log_310702
    Juergen Ladwig

Thanks a lot I'll be trying to do that.

Just a question have you done it in production environment?

Thanks again

Eduardo Martinez

Hi,
    yes i did it also under production environment. But i never restored database logs from disk, only from tape. For sure i did restore the whole database from disk before i changed save to tape. If the databases are really static you can also use dbexport database or onunload a database or even onunload tables, and restore them by dbimport or onload.
    Juergen Ladwig

Thanks again I'll try to do it a soon as posible, since the server is in production 24x7 I can't use dbexport, ontape has worked but when I have had to restore I need to do some maneuvering since I I must restore the whole system.