Unanswered: Problem testing for "<NULL>" in an SQL Server database table column.

I am puzzled. I have a column “CalloutName” in one of the tables in an SQL Server database. That column “CalloutName” has either a string or a NULL (as in “<NULL>”).

(A) If there is no gap/space between the entry <NULL> and the left boundary of a column, the entry is treated as a NULL.
    (B) If there is a gap/space between the entry <NULL> and the left boundary of a column, the entry is treated as not NULL.

(A) and I can use the following to test whether it is really a NULL:

If IsNull(!CalloutName) Or !CalloutName = "" Then
    callOutState = "" (path for A)
    Else
    callOutState = !CalloutName (path for B)
    End If

So, I tried the following code to see whether the entry in (B) can be picked up as a NULL.

Dim iPosNULL As Integer
    iPosNULL = InStr(4, !CalloutName, "NULL>", 1)

If IsNull(!CalloutName) Or !CalloutName = "" Or iPosNULL <> 0 Then
    callOutState = ""
    Else
    callOutState = !CalloutName
    End If

I got an error:

and got an error: “Inavalid use of NULL”.

So, I am at a loss; how do I test the Nullity of such an entry.

Are you physically writing the string "<NULL>" to the database?

When you look at a table in data view, if you see a column with the string "<NULL>" in it, it isn't a physical string. SQL Server is indicating a NULL value in that field.

Therefore:

Code:
    Will throw an exception of "Invalid use of NULL" as you can't pass a NULL value to InStr().

It looks like you're checking for a string where there isn't one. Try just using IsNull().

Mull.

how to test for nulls

something's not quite right

you said the column has either a string or a NULL (as in “<NULL>”)

but "<NULL>" is a string

and "" is a string, too (a zero-length string), and it's not the same as null either

a real null cannot be shown

whenever you run a query, the interface, whether it's Query Manager, ASP, or whatever, has to translate the null into something that it can show you

if you want to know for sure whether the column has any real nulls in it, run this query --
    Code:
    select COALESCE(CalloutName,'yup, a real null')
      from yourtable
    rudy
    http://rudy.ca/

Originally posted by Mulligan
    Are you physically writing the string "<NULL>" to the database?

When you look at a table in data view, if you see a column with the string "<NULL>" in it, it isn't a physical string. SQL Server is indicating a NULL value in that field.

Therefore:

Code:
    Will throw an exception of "Invalid use of NULL" as you can't pass a NULL value to InStr().

It looks like you're checking for a string where there isn't one. Try just using IsNull().

Mull.
    Thansk for your response. The issue is not wheter I can tell wheter what I read is a NULL or not. If <NULL> in is a column and the "<" part of it occupies the first position in the column as in |<NULL> |, I can tell it is a null.
    If <NULL> in is a column and the "<" part of it DOES not occupy the first position in the column as in | <NULL> |, I cannot tell it is a null; it comes a "<NULL>" string. Since I am not the one to populate the database, I have no choice but to figureout how to read the NULL whichever way it comes accross.

In the paragraph above, "|" represent the column bars.

So, the issue is:

if <NULL> is aligned in the first position, I can read it as a NULL using

If IsNull(!CalloutName) Or !CalloutName = "" Then
    callOutState = "" (path for A)
    Else
    callOutState = !CalloutName (path for B)
    End If

if <NULL> is aligned in a position other than the first position, I cannot read it as a NULL using the code fragment above.

Re: how to test for nulls

Originally posted by r937

but "<NULL>" is a string

and "" is a string, too (a zero-length string), and it's not the same as null either

whenever you run a query, the interface, whether it's Query Manager, ASP, or whatever, has to translate the null into something that it can show you

if you want to know for sure whether the column has any real nulls in it, run this query --
    Code:
      from yourtable
    rudy
    Thanks for your response. I will try what you suggested. And please read the response to Mulligan above; may be it will shed more light on what my probelm is.

Re: how to test for nulls

Originally posted by r937

but "<NULL>" is a string

Code:
      from yourtable
    rudy
    Your fragment:

from yourtable

helped me confirm that althoush there is <NULL> in tha column, it does not mean that it will be intepreted as a NULL. What I meas is that in some cases, that fragment produced "<NULL>", ohter strings and "yup, a real null".

so this means you have real nulls, as well as strings pretending to be nulls

any zero-length strings?

you never said what you wanted to do with those various things

assuming you want to handle them separately from "real" values, use this query --
    Code:
    select CASE 
            WHEN CalloutName IS NULL 
              THEN 'oops'
            WHEN CalloutName LIKE '%<NULL>%'
              THEN 'oops'
            WHEN CalloutName = ''
              THEN 'oops'
            ELSE CalloutName
           END as CalloutName 
      from yourtable
    you can handle them all in one, or separately if you assign different "oops" strings

again, easier to do it in the sql, less mess in your calling code

by the way, the COALESCE i gave you is functionally identical to
    Code:
    SELECT CASE 
            WHEN CalloutName IS NULL 
              THEN 'yup, a real null'
            ELSE CalloutName
           END as CalloutName
    rudy

Thanks a ga-zillion Rudy. You made my day. The next quetion is: where can I learn such nifty tricks, i.e, such SQL language" Is there a food book or website?

Wango

good question

i have a bunch of web resources bookmarked (via Powermarks by http://kaylon.com/ -- highly recommended), and i'm slowly copying them to a database and making them available on my site

see http://r937.com/links.cfm?links=sql

i'm right in the middle of moving my sites from one host to another, so it's possible that many pages will not be working at the moment -- but that one does

rudy