Unanswered: Accessiing VB Code in Compiled Database

hi,

Have a problem, I need to access some VB code with an access database brought back from a site trip, problem is that its a compliled MDB file, so I can see the modules but cannot modfiy it or view it

is there any way round this ???/

cheers

Whoever compiled the MDB file would have made an original.

Contact them.
    There have been many posts made throughout the world.
    This was one of them.

VB Code in access

not possible, as the person has left the company, is there a way to reverse compile it.. or am I buggered

If you mean MDE by compiled MDB, then there is no way to retrieve the VB code from the MDE.

Get your company's backup tapes and restore wanted mdb file.

Try renaming the mde. This uncompiles any compiled code.

Hi Maia,

Is this a some kind of joke?

Igor

I'm sorry... don't know what happened there to my head. Upon renaming a database, any compiled code will be decompiled and will have to be recompiled, but that does not help anyone! Excuse my lack of sleep/judgment.

Umm, no.

Renaming a database won't do anything, except it having a different name.
    This was one of them.

Imagine this: a mistake in the help file.... all this time I have been recompiling code when I rename a database based on this information in the help file:

"Rename a database

1 Close the database. In a multiuser environment, confirm that all users have closed the database.
    2 In My Computer or Windows Explorer, find the database file.
    3 Click the name of the file (not its icon), and then click it again to edit the title.
    4 Type the new name. Include the .mdb extension only if you've set up Microsoft Windows to display MS-DOS file extensions. Press ENTER.

The file name can be up to 255 characters, including spaces.

Note When you rename a database, compiled code in the database will be decompiled. To recompile code and save all modules in a compiled state, open the database, open a module in Design view, and click Compile All Modules on the Debug menu. Then click Compile And Save All Modules on the Debug menu. "

Thanks for your help.

I couldn't find that in Access 2000 help. All I could find was this:

Rename an Access database or Access project
    Close the Microsoft Access database or Microsoft Access project. In a multiuser environment, confirm that all users have closed the Access database.

Click Open on the toolbar.

In the Open dialog box, locate the Access database or Access project you want to rename, and then right-click the file.

On the shortcut menu, click Rename.

Type the new name. Include the .mdb or .adp extension only if you've set up Microsoft Windows to display MS-DOS file extensions. Press ENTER. The file name can be up to 255 characters, including spaces.

Note You can also rename an Access database or Access project from outside Access. Close the file, right-click the file in Windows Explorer or My Computer, and then click Rename on the shortcut menu.

Maybe its different in different versions, but I don't see how renaming a database outside an Access environment would have anything to do with the internal structure of a database file.

I know you can run the /decomile switch to an msaccess.exe call, but I would have thought that the only thing that changes when renaming a file is the name attribute in the windows environment.

Then again, I've been wrong before!

Cheers,
    Andrew
    This was one of them.

It's in the Access97 help file... ;-) our motto here at this office is:

"Yesterday's technology tomorrow..."

Have a good week,
    Maia

I think we're losing the point here. There is no real way to retrieve the original source code from a mde anymore. It has been removed from the file, it's gone. There are reverse engeneering tools that could retrieve back a sourcecode not identically to the original and also without any comments of course.
    The renaming of the db file might decompile the code in a normal mdb (I really don't know, maybe the code is locked to the filename, it won't change the code of course) but it won't help at all on an mde.

As long as we are on the subject, what other things change when you rename an mdb file.

When working on a project, I normally make copies along the way and rename them...

MyProject_V0a.mdb
    MyProject_V0b.mdb

you get the picture.

I always recompile and distribute the files as mde files but, I have seen some strange things happen to the security.

At times, groups will lose their permissions to objects.

Has anyone else seen this?

Rick