Thread: Logistic Codes

Unanswered: Logistic Codes

Anyone build a system for orders and logistics? I wonder if there are any universal standardized codes for all Freight Forwarders and Warehouses around the world? Even better is there maybe an updated database for Freighters and Warehouses that could be purchased and intergrated in our ordersystem?

Jo´

I'm not sure about specific what codes you are looking for, but there are companies that sell order mgt apps for delivery/frt fowrding companies. You can try DataTrac (Atlanta), Ascar (LA), Penchant (Minn), LADS (??) to name a few. There are Courier and Frt Forwarding magazines, and tech companies advertize their products.

There are also web services that let you submit all your order and POD info, so that you and your customers can track stuff online. Good luck.

Jim

Thanks for your quick reply, online tracking system sounds really cool. Also I am going to check with the sources you mentioned.

I was being a bit vague perhaps in my last post. What I am looking for are specific codes for each freight forwarder company in the world.

I can invent codes for each company, say, the first 3 letters of the company name, and the 3 first letters of the city where located, followed by two digits.

Say I had FraktAb Freight in Stockholm, Sweden. That would be: FRASTO and then what...01? If they have more offices would they be FRASTO2 and 3 etc. Seems logic enough. Problem is of course if there is Frakt International AB in Stockholm. Furthermore it would be rather troublesome if there already were universal standardized codes for all freight forwarders. Almost like SWIFT codes for bank offices. If I had invented codes that are similar to the standardization organs codes this is bound to make stuff turn up at the wrong address.

Furthermore I need to make codes for each warehouse we ship to in all countries. The warehouses should be on the Freight Forwarder page. Say FraktAB Freight Stockholm’s warehouse s the first to be entered in our system I have been suggested by the sales department to name it SE01. SE for Sweden and 01 since it is the first warehouse entered for Sweden. Sounds rather inaccurate, doesn’t it?

Thanks for your help

Jo´