Question Unanswered: How to get a similar value to Oracle's ROWID?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out how to get the following SQL statment on SQL Server:

select max(rowid) from temp_tab1;

N.B.: The sql above was run on an Oracle DB to return the max row id given by the server (not the table's primary key). I know I can get a similar result if I query my primary key, but that's not the case. I need the DB row id given.

Any help is welcome,
    Regrads,
    Bruno.

RowID is a built in feature that is created with every table in ORACLE. For SQL Server you would need to create a column in your table with the property of IDENTITY, check Book On Line. This is a system maintained column.
    MCDBA

SQL Server equivalent of Oracle rownum

select ms_ident from table

Where did you get that - ms_ident? I tried this out and it doesn't work. I've looked in BOL and searched the web, but there is no reference to ms_ident. Is it a typo?
    MCDBA

Hi ,

The Data Storage concept / Architecture in SQL Server is entirely different from that of Oracle.

There is no ROWID Concept in SQL Server.

But, there is something similar to that you can achieve using "Globally Unique Identifiers" (ROWGUIDCOL property)

For more information, See BOL.

Again , I like to say that please dont compare ROWID Concept with this. Both are not same.

Have Fun.

Varad01

ROWGUIDCOL, is a bit of an over kill. It doesn't generate numbers but globally unique identifier (GUID), like 6F9619FF-8B86-D011-B42D-00C04FC964FF. This is mainly used with replication, when tables from different sites need to merge data.

Look at the IDENTITY property which will generate numeric values. A column with this property is maintained by the system. See Books Online for more information.
    MCDBA