Unanswered: Rollforward with New Logfiles

One question:

I have two databases, both the same on different machines (Based on the same Backup). Now i make transactions on database A (until the databse has created some logfiles). Is it possible to use the logfiles of database A on database B to update (by using a rollforward) database B to achieve the same state as database A?

I tried following: change the logfile path of database B to get the logfiles of Database A when making a rollforward.

But nothing changed.

Are there any other opportunities? Who can help me?

cheers Hendrix

The short answer is yes, we have a dr database set up in a rollforward state using the logs from our production server. We use tsm to archive the logs. Once you have the logs on the secondary server use the rollforward option 'overflow log path' to point to your logs from the primary server. To find out which logs you need 'rollforward db dbname query status'. Ensure both databases are set up as recoverable databases. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply (Your solution sounds good), but
    what does TSM means?

TSM - Tivoli Storage Manager

Consider the scenario:
    Database A on ServerA . You want to create a replica of Database A on Server B with updates on A being applied to B periodically .

In this scenario, I'll do :

Database A should have LOGRETAIN ON.

Backup the database A.

Restore the database A on Server B and call it Database B.

The database will be in Rollforward pending state.

Copy the logfiles on Server A to OVERFLOW LOG PATH on server B .

Issue the ROLLFORWARD TO END OF LOGS (Do NOT Complete or Stop) .

The next time you want the database B to be updated with the logs, copy the log files from Server A to Server B as above and issue the ROLLFORWARD Command. Use the QUERY STATUS option in the ROLLFORWARD Command to know the next log file DB2 is looking for ....

PS:

The database B will not be accessible till the time you do a ROLLFORWARD with COMPLETE Option.

Once the ROLLFORWARD is COMPLETEed , it will not be possible to use the logs for A to update B.

pcama or someone else who has extensive experience in such an environment might have something to add or suggest ....

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by Henzone
    Thanks for your reply (Your solution sounds good), but
    what does TSM means?

Tivoli Storage Manager, its IBM's backup product.