Unanswered: DB2 backup steps : pls HELP !

Hi All,

I've been asked to do a "offline" database backup. I've slowly started to learn DB2 administration tasks one by one. I am not sure what all steps are involved in doing backup. If anyone could explain to me what a offline(cold) backup is and what all steps I've to follow (along with DB2 commands also), it will be of great help. The DB2 6.1 database is on AIX. Kindly help.

Thanks
    karthik

Assuming you are backing up to the disk system your database is on, there is not much to an offline backup. It requires your database to be offline, where exclusive access is given to the backup utility. The default of the backup command is offline so as long as no connections are active you don't have to do anything special. You can only do an online backup if you are using archive logging rather than circular logging. This means you can do backups while connections are still active and transactions continue to get logged and you can recover to a certain point in time rather than just to the point of the last backup.

In a simple offline backup example: db2 backup database sampledb to /home/budir

If you have active applications, you may need to stop them or if they can be forced issue a db2stop force, followed by a db2start command.

on AIX, the backup will be one file in the directory you specified with the name something like this:

sampledb.0.db2inst.node0000.catn0000.2002082306101 0.001

You can tell it is an offline backup because of the 0 in the second node.

The backup does not compress, it will be roughly the same size as the data used in your database.

hope this helped.