Unanswered: combining multiple copies of Northwind Database

Sorry to post this a second time, but the responses were deleted when the system had problems two weeks ago.

I have 11 copies of the Northwind Database that different users were using to collect data.

I would like to combine all the data into one database, and I haven't the foggiest notion as to do this in a reasonably painless fashion.

Any help would be appreciated!

Joe Danzger

I have never heard of this before. I will now attempt to give this a shot. Off the top of my head, I assume you still want to use the Northwind database as your database. Use an unused copy of Northwind. You will need to import data from each table for each of the 11 databases and append that data to it's respective table in your new 'unused' Northwind database.

I will go out on a limb and assume you know how to import data and append data in a table. If you don't, well, that's what were here for, just say so and I or someone else will go into more detail with you on this.

Recommendation: Once you have consollidated all your data into one database, you might want to split the database into a frontend and a backend. Users of course would only have access to the frontend while you maintain only one backend.

I hope this helps! Someone else may have a better idea. If they do, by all means run with that idea.
    Don't do today, what can be done tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.

What you suggest will work fine for the contact database. However, the company database will not end up relating properly when appended.

Any suggestions?

Joe Danzger

Will it be possible to combile data in this fashion? Won't it complain about duplicate primary keys??

Yes, it does complain.

That's one of the problems.

Joe

I myself faced similar problem. Still I couldn't figure out any good solution. One way is that you first remove primary key values from auto number to manual. Then change all master primary key values manually (assuming cascade update so that children records will be automatically updated). But this is going to be really tedious!

I don't think there is an easy solution to this problem either. I am guessing this data is vital or you wouldn't be going through all this trouble, so I think the best thing to do is to do the tedious work.

As with the primary keys. If you can create each table one by one from scratch(using the NW db as a template so to speak) so that, when done, is a mirror of the original (relationships and all) just might work for you....tedious YES!!!
    Don't do today, what can be done tomorrow.

Try Replication

Why not try replication? I'm not sure whether it will help for existing databases. But if you feel this situation can arise later, then you can implement Replication at design level.