Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unanswered: Can MS Access 97 read an Access 2000 mdb?

Howdy.

I have a mdb file that I created with MS Access 2000. It is basically a fancy spreadsheet at this point, with a single table of 700 or so lines in about 20 columns.

I have to transfer this data to a facility across town that is still (shudder) on Office 97... I tried opening the mdb file there, and I got an error message telling me that the database could not be opened.

When I saved the database under Access 2000, I looked for a way to save it in Access 97 format, but there was no choice for that mode that I saw.

Any suggestions welcome...

Thanks!

Robert Hembrook
    Motorola Global Software Group,
    Austin, Texas

Smile Moving Data

If you only need the one table then the simplest suggestion is to copy the data from the table to an excel file and paste it into the other system. This of course assumes the tables have the same layout at both sites. If you copy the data out it will give you the columns names for each column in the table, just in case you need to rearrange them before inserting into the table at the new site.

Another option involves you creating a 97 db from a 97 version. You can open this with the 2k version, be sure not to convert it when it prompts you about this. You can then import the table to it from the 2k version you have at your main site.

Both of these of course are assuming the table is not to big to be put on a disk. Then again you might be moving it on a cd.

Hope this helps.

If it only a spreadsheet, you can save it as excel file and import it in Access 97. Open up table and go to tools>office links> analyze it with ms excel.

Excellent replies

The problem is that the entries in the database are much larger than 256 characters, so a straight export to a spreadsheet won't work.

I have a shared network drive that both can see, so the idea of making a Access 97 object, then copying the data into it is intriguing! I'll try that. It would be easier than doing an ascii dump.

Thank you all for the most excellent suggestions!

Here's how

Tools
    Database Utilities
    Convert Database
    To Access 97 File Format

Teresa

Whoops! Missed that one!

Thanks a lot! I totally missed that option.

I ended up dumping it to text, so I'll see if that goes, and if not, I'll go convert it.

Thanks much for the help! First round is on me!

Robert

Motorola GSG

Your welcome

First round on you, I'm there! Uh, where?

If you're in the neighborhood.

Austin, Texas actually,

Originally posted by TJoy
    First round on you, I'm there! Uh, where?

What's hilarious? The size of the mdb file...

I had 722 lines in the database. I was feeling all chuffed because the db was 5 Mb in Access 2000. Exported to Text, it was 186k! When I exported it into Access 97, it was 370k. That's a HUGE difference! No data lost, so I can only assume that Access 2000 has a lot of overhead.

Thanks all again for the help!

Re: If you're in the neighborhood.

Originally posted by RangeR BoB
    Austin, Texas actually,
    Aww shucks, I'm in Iowa! Good luck cowboy!

There is a state called Iowa?

"Uncle Bobby Collins" on WGN used to say there was no Iowa, just a blank spot on the map covered in corn...

Thanks anyway!

I think I have this part of Access mastered.

Now what I need to do is get each row of data cranked into a seperate MS Word document and automagically put into a seperate directory (which already exists). I have heard Mail Merge can do this, but I need to mess with it a bit.

Re: Darn tootin' there's a state called Iowa!

Originally posted by RangeR BoB
    "Uncle Bobby Collins" on WGN used to say there was no Iowa, just a blank spot on the map covered in corn...
    Hardy har har!

I've done some work with mail merges, so if you're stuck, give me some details and I can point you in the wrong, I mean right direction!

Merging

C00l Beans. I'll see what I can pull off, and if I get lost in the weeds, I know where to come back to...

Normally a mail merge makes one big file when its done. Can it make seperate files, one for each entry?

Thanks.

Robert

As usual, there are many different ways to skin a cat. I tend to shy away from doing too much "programming" in Word, because I find it gets really messy. There are ways you can use the SendObject command to get what you want into a doc, or you can export data from queries into separate files, etc etc.

I'll need to know a bit more about what you are trying to achieve.

Teresa

Shuffling a little data, but many many times

I have a list of names in Access, and I have 700 of them.

Each entry is name, address, company, location information etc.

e.g.:

Hembrook, RangeR BoB, Austin, 867-5309, etc...

I have a very strictly formatted form (to make it look just like the ones in the other departments) that I want to fill with data.

I have a directory structure with 700 directories, on for each entry in the database. This particular form would then go into its own subdirectory under the named directory.

e.g.:

d:\Names\Hembrook\Datasheet\Hembrook.doc

A normal mailmerge will make a single, 700 page document that I will have to bust up into separate files and save by hand in each directory. If I could do it another, simpler, way, life would get much easier.

I only have 2 weeks to get this setup and debugged. it would be nice if others could follow along (I am the only techie here) when I am done here, and automate the process so that if the database gets updated, I ccan just make a run and produce a sheaf of new docs, so I don't have to have them update each datasheet everytime a single record gets changed.

Thanks for any suggestions.